Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unheard at other end

son-in-law's new macbook pro cannot hear me when using iChat. he can use iChat with other fine as can I.

i don't even know where to start with this??

hints?

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 4:14 PM

3 replies

Feb 22, 2012 1:55 PM in response to Forrest Jerome1

Hi,

Try setting the bandwidth in iChat Menu > Preferences > Video section to 500kbps

If one end is a Laptop go to System Preferences > Sound > Input tab and turn Off Ambient Noise Reduction (this may only provide a temporary relief)

User uploaded file
9:55 PM Wednesday; February 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Feb 23, 2012 12:33 PM in response to Forrest Jerome1

Hi,

This does tend to get into the realms of fuzzy logic regarding some of this.

It is probably best if I explain with a bit of Historical background.

iChat 2 stated that the min for 1-1 Video chat was 128kbps and this basically has not changed.

The Data speeds rates we get from our ISPs has though.

Depending on Processor, the internet speed available, any capping in the iChat Preferences (or System Preferences > Quicktime in/for iChat 4 or earlier) and the speed of the Buddy will cause iChat to come up with the Pic size it is sending.

AT best it will aim for a pic 640 X 480 pixels (0.3mp) at 30fps

In most cases a MacBook Pro would do about 20fps at this size.

My G4/1Ghz dual Process manages 15fps at a smaller pic size. (on my now 5Mbps Download and at 780kbps upload).

Once you get over about 1Mbps download and at least 500kbps Upload then the natural variance in the service from the ISP can also Play a factor.

It is this that capping iChat to 500kbps helps with.

In essence you can have issues if one buddy has a fast service and the other one is really slow but do better from each to moderate speeds Buddies.

If one end is on an extremely fast service then it can be very difficult to "Balance" things as the ends iChat can think the other end is not responding when in fact they service is just that much slower and therefore haven't replied quick enough.

User uploaded file
8:33 PM Thursday; February 23, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

unheard at other end

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.