Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Inactive Memory

Hi

Looking for some advice. I have a Macbook Pro and have recently upgraded its 4gb to 8gb. There hasnt been much difference to be honest however when in Activity Monitor I do seem to get a high Inactive Memory volume.

At the moment it reads

Free - 2.76gb

Wired - 1.06gb

Active - 2.30gb

Inactive - 1.88gb

Page In - 4.48gb

Page Out - 2.0mb

I understand that Inactive is RAM reserved for recent applications in order for them to open quicker, however I have rebooted and the only application I have open is Safari and yet still 1.88gb Inactive memory, surely this is too high

Can anyone offer any advice? Could this be faultly memory?

Also how high should VM memory be?

Thanks All

Craig

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 3:26 PM

11 replies

Feb 21, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Spac3Monkey

Spac3Monkey wrote:

I do seem to get a high Inactive Memory volume.

Could this be faultly memory?

No. Inactive memory is memory allocated which hasn't been requested recently; it may become active, or it may be paged out. Explanation here

Using Activity Monitor

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342>

For the average user, Page Outs would be the most relevant figure -- it shows if excessive swapping occurs. You have no such problem. So, unless you are experiencing specific problems, stop worrying about this stuff and start enjoying your Mac and being productive -- that's what you got it for, right?

Feb 21, 2012 5:37 PM in response to fane_j

It is not totally incorrect. Open a bunch of programs, then close their windows leave the programs running. Shut each one down one at a time and watch Activity monitor. Inactive memory stays the same while the programs are open and no windows displayed, the same as when the windows were open. As you close the the programs inactive memory drops.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2012 7:26 PM in response to Shootist007

Shootist007 wrote:

As you close the the programs inactive memory drops.

Sometimes, yes. But I just quit that well-known memory hog, iTunes, and inactive memory went slightly up, from 584MB to 585.6MB; so, sometimes, no.

I think you are misled by your Windows experience; although the two OSs are similar, there are some fundamental differences, and memory allocation to apps and windows is among such differences. Read HT1342; if it's not detailed enough, follow the link to "Memory Usage Performance Guidelines" (a fundamental doc for understanding Mac OS X VM) and read About the Virtual Memory System > Page Lists in the Kernel.

Jan 4, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Spac3Monkey

So I just had this problem. I have just upgraded to Mountain Lion AND upgraded to 8GB. I've been watching Activity Monitor a lot lately as I use a lot of music programs. So far it's been great with the system rarely going beyond 5gb and no page outs. Until just before...

I had Chrome, iTunes and Evernote running. I was copying a link from Chrome to Evernote while iTunes was playing music in the background. When I tried to Command+V, Evernote locked up with the spinning beach ball for 20seconds. iTunes continued to play fine throughout. I went back to Chrome to get more stuff to copy... back to Evernote and the same thing happened again. I look at Activity Monitor and notice I have 5.8gb inactive, 3.8mb Page Outs and 8.1mb Swap used. The only other thing i've had on in this session is Spotify for an hour or so.

I've since closed everything... an hour has passed and there is still 5.8 gb inactive. I'm going to reset now but this seems pretty abnormal.

High Inactive Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.