Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac G5 powers up, fan runs and screen comes on

But that's it. All that shows on the screen is a flashing file folder with faces and ? . I checked the LED lights with the cover off,

rebooted but still nothing. I do not have it hooked to our DSL. It's a present (used) from my dad. I am just dangerous enough to

follow the above instructions. From there it could be dangerous - ha! Can anybody help me get this going...

iMac, G5

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 5:33 PM

3 replies

Feb 22, 2012 7:00 PM in response to christifromgrangeville

All that means is there is no operating system it could detect. This can sometimes happen when a machine is over 4 years old and the PRAM battery needs replacing. It can also happen if the hard drive is dead, or the directory is damaged. Is there any data you need to recover before we attempt to see if the drive is dead or the directory is damaged?

Feb 23, 2012 12:10 PM in response to a brody

This was a gift and no files are important to me. I have the Mac OS Install disc in the cd drive and can't get it to eject. I also have the Mac OS Software repair disc, iMac G5 Max OS X Install Disc 1, Mac OS X v10.2 Install Disc 1 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Let's do this - ha! What else do I need and what steps do I need to walk (run) through!

Thanks for helping me!

IMac G5 powers up, fan runs and screen comes on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.