Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder 100% CPU and missing icons

Hi all

I've been trying to figure it out for quite some time now.

First of all some app icons are missing. Also icons in menus are misising in seeveral palces. You can see that on screenshot

User uploaded file

The other problem is that occassionaly Finder takes 100% CPU (one core) and in Activity Monitor appears as "Not responsive"

Almost everything goes to halt at that point for 10-20 minutes after which Finder comes back to live. It happens several times a day (Time Machine?) and I think may be a symptom of bigger underlying problem (file system).

I did check Disk using Disk Utility and everything seems to be OK apart from permissions that I tried to fix but DU still clams they need to be fixed

This is on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 MacBook Pro

Thanks

Daniel

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:22 PM

6 replies

Feb 21, 2012 10:58 PM in response to boink boink

I'd only run one of those utilities (actually I would never run one of those utilities, but that's just me) when I had some ideas on what I wanted to clean up. Not do a blanket cleanup if it is unnecessary.

The safe boot suggestion I made above does do some cleanup of its own. That is why I said safe boot and then reboot normally.

What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Feb 22, 2012 12:59 AM in response to X423424X

So I did safe boot again. with logging in this time and all icons (also under Utilities) magically appeared.

Did reboot and icons are still visible.

So far so good. Definitely good call X423424X

Now I need to find out what's causing Finder to use 100% CPU. Maybe that will go away as well now?

If not I will try sampling Finder process via Activity Monitor

D.

Finder 100% CPU and missing icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.