Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arrange options are grayed out.

I need to send an image to the background but in the top menu and in inspector on the image tab, the options to select in-line, background, etc, are grayed out. How can I force this image to the back ground?

Pages-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2015 2:21 PM

Whoever designed this app should throat-punched and fired — then dragged into the street and beaten by an angry mob.

So I do a Google search and it delivers me to this page, and I go, "oh, so to move my image to the back I just need to convert this to 'Page Layout,'," which appears to be an easy setting under the FILE menu called, appropriately enough, "Convert to Page Layout". However, doing so deletes all the text from the entire document (you know, instead of doing something reasonable like say, converting the page text into text boxes). Oh F--k !!!! So going back into the document history, to convert it back into Word Processing mode to retrieve my text wipes out two type written pages.

Truly a piece of garbage.

Throat punched and beaten by an angry mob — only reasonable prescription.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Whoever designed this app should throat-punched and fired — then dragged into the street and beaten by an angry mob.

So I do a Google search and it delivers me to this page, and I go, "oh, so to move my image to the back I just need to convert this to 'Page Layout,'," which appears to be an easy setting under the FILE menu called, appropriately enough, "Convert to Page Layout". However, doing so deletes all the text from the entire document (you know, instead of doing something reasonable like say, converting the page text into text boxes). Oh F--k !!!! So going back into the document history, to convert it back into Word Processing mode to retrieve my text wipes out two type written pages.

Truly a piece of garbage.

Throat punched and beaten by an angry mob — only reasonable prescription.

Feb 21, 2012 10:44 PM in response to Greg101010

There are two modes in Pages. The difference between them is that the PL document doesn't have a text layer. For some it is frustrating using WP mode when using a lot of objects and for some it is vice versa. The WP document can do all that PL can do but not v.v..

In PL you should be able to LOCK the image. I don't use PL docs much so you have to check it out. I prefer using WP and I have learned how to handle it even with a lot of objects in it.

Feb 22, 2012 5:09 AM in response to Greg101010

Greg,

I'll give you an explanation as to why the Page Layout mode doesn't provide for Master Objects and Background Objects. Hopefully you can make a rational decision about which garbage you prefer.

As Fruhulda noted, Pages doesn't have a Text Layer. Since the Background is the area behind the Text Layer, Background has no practical meaning in a PL doc.

A Page Layout document is comprised of 1-page Sections. A Section Master Object is one that persists for an entire Section. Since (all) Sections in a Page Layout document are (only) 1 page in length, Section Master Object has no practical meaning in a PL doc.

You may use the Arrange menu to set the stacking order of objects in Page Layout document.

You may use Format > Advanced > Capture Pages... to establish pages with elements that can be reused later in the document.

Jerry

Nov 6, 2015 9:22 AM in response to Chris Grayson

I've been googling and searching how to change the page. I stopped reading your comment mid way through and did the following:
File>Convert to Page Layout...

The app then warned me of what you described in the second half of your comment. So I tried it (because I had not yet finished reading your comment) I can completely understand your frustration. It totally ruins a job I'm currently working on. Instead of simply just opening a file and placing some background objects behind it. I'm now forced to start from scratch. What a nightmare :S

Arrange options are grayed out.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.