Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine password request...no password works to unlock the disk

Hi there,

I'm having a very odd problem. I connected my time machine external back up drive today and the disk which automatically loads and pops up to my desktop did not appear. It seemingly could not see/recognise the disk, or another (non backup) partition on it.

I tried a different USB port, and after I pulled the USB cable out a password prompt (enter a password to unlock the disk) appeared, whichever password I entered it would not accept.

The odd thing is why request a password after the disk has been removed? I confirmed this 3 times. Also, I do not believe I ever set a backup password. If I did it would have been set to the same as my login - but this is not being recognised.

Has anyone any ideas as to the issue? I have other folders on this drive which are not backed up ; (

Thanks for your help...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 2:42 AM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2012 2:28 AM in response to deepandmeaningless

Right, the disk itself is corrupted. I left it connected to the computer for a while, and then this message came up telling me the disk was read only, and that I needed to reformat it. I am going to take off the files I need and reformat it. No idea how or why this corruption occured.

Anyway, hope this helps some poor soul in the future.

May 18, 2012 3:15 AM in response to deepandmeaningless

Hello... I have the exact same problem and I've been stuck for a few days without finding a solution.... Can you confirm that, after entering the password (which was not accepted....it greyed out and nothing happened), you left your external disk connected and that after a while, a message came up telling you that the disk was read only and that you needed to reformat it? Thanks!

Time machine password request...no password works to unlock the disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.