Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Service / Searching iPhone 4

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4 which I got as a gift and it was updated to 5.0.1 when I first got it. The problem is that it keeps going to No service/searching whenever I leave it idle, but I've noticed that if I keep using the network e.g. calling or texting, it rarely ever loses signal and if I reboot it, it starts getting full signal again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 5:15 AM

26 replies

Feb 25, 2012 10:24 AM in response to Raptor_Enforcer

Hi,

I have the same problem with an iPhone 4 16GB Factory Unlocked. I tried 2 SIM Cards, restored it multiple times, reset network settings, turned phone on and off, airplane mode on and off, upgraded from iOS 4 to 5.0.1, and still have the same problem. The most it kept the signal was up to 9 hours, than it started repeating the problem.

Sometimes the phone drops signal to one bar and comes back up to full signal; which does not really bother me, since its only about 5 seconds without signal. But the main problem is, when the phone is idle, on the table or pocket (so it is not the case of covering the anntena with hand), it drops the signal and it shows Searching for some seconds and then it says No Service. Sometimes the Airplane Mode On Off works or Turning Phone On and Off. Additionally, the problem also occurs with using the phone with other apps.

I don't have an Apple Store in my country, and the local phone repairs said that we can't do anything. One phone repair shop said it must be a hardware problem, and that he can TRY to fix it (the part try was a little risky for me).

Phone was never dropped to ground or anything of that nature. The reception of signal from local carriers is very strong all around the city.

Any help is really appreciated.

Feb 25, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Raptor_Enforcer

I guess not, but I'm still hoping. I've been reading all over the internet and this problem dates back from the first iPhone.

Someone mentioned this:

For the Iphone 4S. check version 5.0.1 (9A406) if you see (9A405) you would need to restore device..

(9A405) means the software updated hung and dint complete the restore process..

hope this helps

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3530974

I hope this has to do something with my problem and fix it.

Mar 6, 2012 2:47 PM in response to Raptor_Enforcer

first off i would like to say 5.0.2 isnt coming anytime soon tere is another update but thats not for the cell reception and what not but the only way i have found to fix the no service issue is by doing this go to settings>location services>system services> and turn on call network search,compass calibration, setting time zone and then go back to the settings app and now click on general>network>and make sure that cellular data is on as well as voice roaming and data roaming and that should do it if this does not work try restoring the device as a new iphone not from backup

No Service / Searching iPhone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.