Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i print in black and white

New to Mac, convert from Windows. I cannot figure out how to print a color page in black and white, or in grayscale. I see no support articles on the topic.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 4:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR9UHaXA3FQ

does this help?

13 replies

Feb 22, 2012 4:48 AM in response to jim.reynolds

jim.reynolds wrote:

I cannot figure out how to print a color page in black and white, or in grayscale.

It's a function provided by the printer driver, not by the OS, so there is no standard option. Expand the print dialog box by clicking the disclosure triangle beside the Printer pop-up menu. The middle pop-up menu in the expanded box should contain a "Print Settings" or similar choice, or possibly "Color", and you should be able to choose colour or grayscale from one of them. You should look for this info in the printer's manual or user guide, rather than in Apple's support KB.

Oct 29, 2014 12:24 PM in response to legin snave

legin snave wrote:

Thanks Columbi,

I found out that my old HP Deskjet 840C is no longer supported by OS X, so the YouTube tutorial does not work. However, your PDF workaround does. A little convoluted, but until I get around to replace the old printer, it'll do the trick

The Gutenprint drivers support the DeskJet 840C. You can download them from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

Aug 17, 2016 3:56 AM in response to jim.reynolds

Apple, be merciful! I have been using computers for the vast half of my life. Worked on Windows, Linux Mint, but now had to switch to OSX because I am designer. I have never used such a lack of logic and intuitiveness OS. All looks gorgeously beautiful, but now I understand why fancy cheeks use Windows on their Macs...XD...Bless my iMac, because it is my bread, and screw it at the same time...Elijah. Sorry for my english.

how do i print in black and white

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.