Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password rejected

Since yesterday, Mail has been rejecting my iCloud password, and I cannot receive mail. I can only retrieve my messages by logging into iCloud via Safari. My iCloud account information in Mail shows p04-imap.mail.me.com as the incoming mail server. It is dimmed and cannot be edited. Authentication under the Advanced tab shows Apple Token.

I notice that others have been experiencing the same problem. Is this a server issue? Any word on it being resolved?

Gregory

Intel iMac, PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.7.2), HP Laserwriter, Time Capsule, Duet, Edirol PCR-30

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 6:56 AM

20 replies

Feb 22, 2012 8:30 AM in response to Gregory Lypny

As the calendars are working, that indicates that your login is OK; which rather suggests a problem wth the server. There have been a few complains along these lines. Give it a bit and see whether it comes back of itself.

If it doesn't, you could try MobileMe Support (I know you're on iCloud but there is no free support for that and MobileMe Support have helped several people). Go to http://www.apple.com/support/mobileme/ww/ and select your country. In the next window click on a category to expand it, then on a subject to get a link to 'live chat'.

Feb 22, 2012 11:55 AM in response to Gregory Lypny

I have a theory, which may be completely wrong. My issue was the same, no changes to systems, but also rejection of password. I changed my Apple ID password, and I am now able to send/receive mail. I did notice that my existing password did not meet the minimum security protocol. Perhaps (again, just a guess) the older passwords that do not meet the current protocol are being denied.

Apr 19, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Pattern: I notice the problem most often when waking from sleep mode or logging in after an absence of several hours. This is not to say it does not "forget/reject" my password other times, just that it seems to happen regularly under these circumstances.

Has anyone just ignored the "Password for Account" window when it pops up, canceled it, and then chosen "Get Mail for iCloud". This generally works for me. This seems to indicate that the password is correct and is apparently available to iCloud and/or the system software or servers except for unexplained random FAIL.

Sadly, I assume the problem is not me, but Apple. Annoying. And interesting.

Also, my password is apple compliant and the problem persists in spite of turning syncing on and off and/or changing settings. My settings are as suggested by Apple/iCloud, and yet....FAIL happens.

10.7.3 iMac, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Password rejected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.