Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 (Client) map a network drive VPN Snow Leopard Server

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server and are using a VPN service.

My services on the mac os x sls server are: AFP, DNS, Firewall, Open Directory, SMB and VPN.

I can connect the VPN from Mac clients and Windows 7 clients, but I can only map a network drive/share point on Mac´s.

On Windows 7 I get an error: path or name not found ( I am sure using the correct path, same from Mac client that works).

When I am using my internal network LAN I can map a network drive using Windows 7 and Mac but outside over a VPN not (only Mac works).

The only service, at this moment, that I need is File Sharing outside my network LAN using a VPN.

How can I map a network drive from a Windows 7 client using a VPN, is there any Firewall rules / SMB rules / File Sharing rules that I missed on the server side?

Thank You.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), MAC and Windows 7 clients

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 11:40 AM

6 replies

Mar 8, 2012 7:42 AM in response to l4r5

Yes, I tried it from a friend's computer and it worked. The only problem that I had was knowing what to type for the shared name. I finally realized Windows needed the "\\" to make the file share work.

Typed it in the format of: "\\server's local IP\share point name" -> "\\10.0.10.xxx\Public"

and it loaded up and worked wonderfully (after the VPN had successfully connected [using the directions I posted earlier]).^^

Mar 11, 2012 10:34 AM in response to l4r5

Thank you again!

As I said I have tried it several times and it doesn`t work for me.

My connections to the server are working fine for Mac's and for W7' just the folder mapping does not work on W7's.

Are you the server administrator?

On the server side (Mine is a OSX 10.6.8), is there any special settings on SMB or Firewall that you use to allow W7's connect thru a VPN to access SMB?

Best.

Mar 17, 2012 4:28 PM in response to l4r5

I really don't know what are going wrong with my settings. As you said/write it must be an easy setup.

I'm using a Time Capsule and used the Server app to add VPN to the port forwarding also.

When I am connected thru the VPN I tried to ping the Server IP and got no answer from it, from W7 client!?

My Mac's are just working fine with AFP and SMB share points thru the VPN.

I think I have missed some settings from the SMB or Firewall services for VPN with W7 client's or it is a Windows issue.....

Windows 7 (Client) map a network drive VPN Snow Leopard Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.