Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help - Time Capsule Died?

Hey folks, my time capsule which has been working for a good 24 months has suddenly died - it appears to power on - I get an amber LED then after 60 seconds it just dies and nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Mac OS X (10.6.4), iMAC,iPad,Iphone,iPod Touch

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 2:43 PM

8 replies

Feb 22, 2012 4:22 PM in response to mynameisearl

I have the same problem. I have been using this TC for over 3 years without any problems until a few months ago when I started having problems with my internet connectivity occasionally. I have been ignoring it because I was able to get it working again by turning everything on and off. Last night it died...like you said, the amber LED powers on then after a few seconds it dies. I was able to get it working again after 30 minutes working on it. This morning, it died again. I ruled out my internet provider's modem because I got internet connection when I connected my Shaw cable modem directly to the computer ,nor my Vonage modem because it is also working well after reconnecting my old DLink router. My last option now is to do a hard or factory default reset which I have not attempted yet . Will let you know if this will help. Hopefully, someone from the community can help us.

Feb 22, 2012 4:41 PM in response to jjtopspin

If the LED has gone off there is no way to reset or do anything.. it would not help anyway as the power supply is now dead.

If you have applecare on a computer.. (sometimes ipad is accepted and sometimes not), and the TC is less than 3 years old, Apple should replace it. They will not recover files or do anything, and you will get a refurbished one with same size drive as the old one.

Otherwise you will need to repair the power supply, replace it with external power supply or get a repairer to fix it for you.

https://sites.google.com/site/lapastenague/a-deconstruction-of-routers-and-modem s/apple-time-capsule-repair

I listed several repair methods.. some very cheap.. and some people around the world who can help if you are unable to do it yourself.

Feb 22, 2012 11:44 PM in response to mynameisearl

Guys - thanks - I'm not sure it is the power supply as you can hear the hard drive spinning and as mentioned the LED comes on for about 30 - 60 seconds - in amber. Everything then just shuts down and it appears dead. Removing power and then plugging back in it does the same.

Let me know if the hard reset works - will try the same myself later tonight.

Feb 23, 2012 9:57 AM in response to mynameisearl

Update on my problem - well I may be going a little mental here - 24 hours after having the problem - I left the TC switched off over night - moved it to my desk to do a factory reset - plugged it in and it powered into life - seems to be working fine again with no issues.

Begining to wonder if it had over heated or something. Anyway all seems to be working for the moment.

Feb 23, 2012 10:42 AM in response to mynameisearl

Thanks guys! Glad to know you got your TC working again.You might be right that it over heated. Mine was also abnormally hot before it died. I got it working again after it cooled down for a few minutes which only lasted until the next morning when it died again. I have not done the hard reset yet because my old DLink is working perfectly well right now.

Feb 23, 2012 12:11 PM in response to mynameisearl

mynameisearl wrote:

Update on my problem - well I may be going a little mental here - 24 hours after having the problem - I left the TC switched off over night - moved it to my desk to do a factory reset - plugged it in and it powered into life - seems to be working fine again with no issues.

Begining to wonder if it had over heated or something. Anyway all seems to be working for the moment.

This is characteristic of the Delta made power supply.. it is still telling you a message... for the power supply to not work and then start working again when it has cooled down.. be sure it will fail again, especially during a longer than usual backup where the device has a chance for heat to build up.

Feb 23, 2012 2:27 PM in response to mynameisearl

Update: Just plugged in my TC and it's working again! Did not have to do the reset. I don't know how long it will last. LaPastenague maybe right, it might fail again. I will try to turn it off as backup for now and see what happens. I am not quite a techno expert to do what LaPastenague suggested. If it fails again, that's it for TCs I will never buy another one again! Come on APPLE improve your products!!!

Feb 25, 2012 11:09 AM in response to mynameisearl

Update: TC was working well for 46 Hrs. until I attempted this morning to enter the Time Machine without turning it on first when it died again. It only restarted again after I let it cool down for 2 hrs. I was able to back my iMac and Macbook Pro without any problems . I will try and leave the Time Machine on for now and see if it will overheat again. It seems to work well when the Time Machine is off and just do the backup once in while.

Help - Time Capsule Died?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.