Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB server browsing woefully slow

As the title says - browsing shared SMB servers from my iMac is painfully slow.

The server is Ubuntu Server running Samba. The Windows7 laptop I keep as a dev machine connects to the share and downloads/uploads files like lightning. I'll open a 300mb video on the server and it'll start playing in a couple of seconds. From OSX Lion, however, it takes about half a minute to simply list a directory. I tried to copy a 33byte (yes, 33 BYTE) text file from the server to my desktop and it took nearly 10 seconds.

Please tell me there is some hidden settings in the terminal I can use to speed things up because this is beyond a joke.

-Ben

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), Core i7 2.93GHz - 6GB RAM - 1TB HDD

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:58 AM

The MacOS X default network parameters are suboptimal for a gigabit LAN, at least when talking to Windows. I think I found the fix here. It’s to (in Terminal, with sudo and a text editor) create the file /etc/sysctl.conf and put some tweaked settings in it, then reboot to make it take effect. Here are some details about these parameters, and here are more explanations. Here is the sysctl.conf that I’m currently using in Lion:

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1440

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=250000

net.inet.tcp.recvspace=250000

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2012 11:58 AM in response to Community User

The MacOS X default network parameters are suboptimal for a gigabit LAN, at least when talking to Windows. I think I found the fix here. It’s to (in Terminal, with sudo and a text editor) create the file /etc/sysctl.conf and put some tweaked settings in it, then reboot to make it take effect. Here are some details about these parameters, and here are more explanations. Here is the sysctl.conf that I’m currently using in Lion:

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=1440

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=250000

net.inet.tcp.recvspace=250000

SMB server browsing woefully slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.