Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using carbon copy cloner for multiple computers

I would like to setup multiple macbook pros to all have exactly the same configurations which include system level files/programs like python/java/curl/gcc. They should be identical in everyway except the OSX license information. I was thinking about using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to accomplish this task.

If I used CCC would the license information on each macbook pro get overwritten when I cloned?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 5:44 PM

CCC will do the trick, I've read about it being used to clone like a hundred Mac mini's and then Firewire Target Disk Mode to clone to more and so forth.

CCC will also clone the Lion Recovery Partition if needed, but it can do the OS X Lion Partiton alone too.

The machines all have to be the same because of hardware drivers specific to each Mac model.

If you had pre-10.6.3 release machines then you could mix it up if you used the 10.6.3 retail disk, but your signature says your on 10.7.

I've heard of people being allowed install one Lion purchase on multiple Mac's, Apple doesn't install draconian DRM onto OS X, so as long as you meet their EULA, even if you have to buy several copies of OS X, you can clone one away without fear, they make their money on hardware sales.

Of course third party software is another matter of course. 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2012 5:44 PM in response to imosquea

CCC will do the trick, I've read about it being used to clone like a hundred Mac mini's and then Firewire Target Disk Mode to clone to more and so forth.

CCC will also clone the Lion Recovery Partition if needed, but it can do the OS X Lion Partiton alone too.

The machines all have to be the same because of hardware drivers specific to each Mac model.

If you had pre-10.6.3 release machines then you could mix it up if you used the 10.6.3 retail disk, but your signature says your on 10.7.

I've heard of people being allowed install one Lion purchase on multiple Mac's, Apple doesn't install draconian DRM onto OS X, so as long as you meet their EULA, even if you have to buy several copies of OS X, you can clone one away without fear, they make their money on hardware sales.

Of course third party software is another matter of course. 🙂

using carbon copy cloner for multiple computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.