Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion permissions and autosave with NFS

I have had a browse around the forum and can't find anything which helps. Apologies if this is answered somewhere I haven't found. Google is betraying me for once. Here is my problem.

I have a MacPro which authenticates to an LDAP directory. Home directory is auto mapped to an NFS share on FreeNAS and appears on my Mac as /home/chris. ~/Library is therefore at /home/chris/Library.

I am experiencing similar problems to others in that apple apps (i.e. TextEdit) complain that it cannot save files that I edit. I can create files fine and duplicate files, but attempting to save a file I have previously edited fails.

If I grant access to a local user on the Mac (I have a local account with admin permissions - my normal LDAP account is not an admin), I can log in as that user, edit and save the file fine.

My research indicates that this is likely a permissions problem with something to do with the autosave/versioning functionality in lion. So far, all I have come across are directions to reset permissions on local accounts using the repair partition (this isn't a local account remember) and to reset extended ACLs on the file store (there are no ACLs as my home directory is mounted via NFS and is on a ZFS partition in FreeNAS).

I also have a MacBook pro. This is set up subtley differently in that it too authenticates against the same LDAP database, but has a local home directory created through the "mobile account" thingy - it doesn't sync, but thats a different issue. The important thing here is that the ~/Library directory is held locally on /Users/chris/Library. Accessing the same file over the auto mounted NFS share (by manually browsing to /home/chris) and editing it works fine.

I wondered if the root account on the MacPro was trying to do something. I have now set FreeNAS to map root to another account, as root wasn't allowed to do anything at all on the NFS share but still no joy.

Can anyone catagorically point me in the direction of the directories that autosave is trying to modify. If I can find this out, I may be able to compare permissions on the MacBook and the Mac Pro/NFS directory and see what differs. Any other suggestions more than welcome, I am pulling my hair out on this!

Many thanks

Chris

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 3:38 PM

1 reply

Lion permissions and autosave with NFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.