Skip navigation

Firewire connection query

1229 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2012 6:42 PM by Matthew Knice RSS
cosmichobo Level 3 Level 3 (515 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Feb 22, 2012 8:58 PM

G'day,

I've just bought a 400/800 firewire cable to connect my G5 PowerMac and 2010 Macbook Pro 13".  (Yes, I realised after purchase, the G5 has FW800... so I could have gone for a 800/800 cable... doh me).

I tried connecting the 2 machines using Target Disk Mode first - both ways - but neither would see the other as a FW disk.

I then tried networking them using the Networks pref, but again, they could not see each other.

I have never used the MacBook Pro's FW800 port... though I do know the G5's 400 ports both work.  Thinking maybe it was the MBP, I dug out an iBook SE, and connected the 400 end into it, and the 800 end in first the MBP, then the G5.  No good either - except -

When I opened System Profiler on the G5, with the iBook in TDM, it errored, saying it could not confirm if any devices were attached... Suggesting it could see SOMETHING... but not properly... 

Does this sound like it's all the cable's fault... Or is there some inherent problem with firewire between 400/800?

Thanks

cosmic

PowerMac 2004 dual 1.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.25GHz RAM, 2x 1TB WD Green Drives, Stock Vid Card
  • Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)
    Feb 22, 2012 10:01 PM (in response to cosmichobo)

Ok so Ive been thinking about your question and how to approach this problem...have you tried different cables? Maybe the cable is faulty. If different or known good cables prove faulty...then unfortunately it sounds to me like the Port....it wouldnt surprise me because Ive seen several G4s that the Ethernet port just goes rancid. Just randomly stops working...my eMac had that issue...maybe had something to do with overclocking it...but let me tell you, it worked fine even 1 year later after the OC. Then randomly one day chose not to work. I dont know. But then my G4 MDD showed the same symptom...(before I did the insane overclock btw) it just wasnt working...so just installed AirPort in both and circumvented the problem. =) But I burned up the CPU board. Its toast. So now I got a DP 1.33GHz chip in it. Working again. Just left the clock speeds alone. lol

Btw.....havent I seen you before? The eMac forums perhaps? And we have the same Power Mac G5 models right? Yours was the one that looks like it went through a garbage disposal (mustve been a MASSIVE one to fit a PMG5! lol!) Just wondering. If so then a warm welcome back!!!

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,755 points)
    Feb 23, 2012 9:52 AM (in response to cosmichobo)

as I don't own any FW800 devices

Do you have any FW400 devices to check your FW800 ports with that cable?

Have you tried connecting the FW cable after one is in t mode?

Feb 23, 2012 2:13 PM (in response to cosmichobo)

Cable does seem it might be the problem!

Feb 23, 2012 6:35 PM (in response to BDAqua)

BDAqua wrote:

Cable does seem it might be the problem!

Thats the culprit I had in mind the entire time just wanted to pinpoint the issue by process of elimination first. And just another reason I dont use eBay... -_-

Feb 23, 2012 6:40 PM (in response to Matthew Knice)

Yeah, I sometimes have an idea off the bat but generally do some fishing first myself!

Feb 23, 2012 6:42 PM (in response to BDAqua)

Yeah thats the way to do it! (like they always say...if it aint broke dont fix it! So make sure that the bad part is actually bad before you go out and replace something that doesnt get you anywhere...I hate it when that happens...its a bugger)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.