Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very Slow Internet on iMac Boot Camp Windows XP and Mac OSX

I purchased an iMac a couple of days ago second hand. I have put a 50GB partition on it with Windows XP SP3 installed. When I go onto Windows, I get internet speeds of literally 10-15kbps. On Mac OSX, I get speeds of 50-100kbps. I am really sick of it, as on my MacBook I get speeds of 250-500kbps (I know that this may not be much, but to me it is very fast).

In particular, I am trying to install CoD BO on my Windows and need a decent internet speed to download or play it.

On the OSX partition, I cannot load any videos or most websites. I have gone into System Prefs > Network > Airport and fixed up both DNS thingies.

My iMac specs are as follows:

Late 2009 White Model 20" iMac

4GB of DDR3 RAM

2.0GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor

Anything else you need to know I can find out and let you know.

ANY help WHATSOEVER is greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,

MickledaPickle

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2012 9:00 PM

10 replies

Feb 23, 2012 10:07 AM in response to MickledaPickle

I am going to the Apple store tomorrow, but I don't know if it will help.

As an update:

Although I have to lug my iMac half way around my house (my house is quite large) to get to the internet modem (its ok, i still get strong signal from my room), I can plug my iMac into the ethernet to get reasonable internet speeds. I can only do this if I need to download something, as there is no space on my desk to fit my iMac.

Please, someone reply!

Feb 23, 2012 12:55 PM in response to MickledaPickle

It is a used computer, hopefully you had the sense to wipe the OS and do your own clean install.

I'd say it seems like your wifi and router, not hardware or even the OS, though XP has already been deemed EOL on the chopping block and not supported - in fact Vista SP2 is the oldest supported.

XP and wireless probably is not as easy but there are sites, books, and setup guides or "wizards" on how best to configure wifi.

Easy enough to run cat5 cable 100 ft or longer and I prefer to run through a wall or down into basement and back up into back office.

Sometimes you or I just a matter of finding a better router with wireless N/G.

Very Slow Internet on iMac Boot Camp Windows XP and Mac OSX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.