Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

say, your books has 40 chapters - the auto-directory would be a nightmare

I'm trying to get rid of the automated directory - creating my own directory ON ONE SIDE only, using Hyperlinks for in-book-linking.

1. is there any chance to hide or delete the auto-directory
    I've been trying to avoide directory inserts by using paragraphs only - but - as I do have chapters AND paragraphs, results were no matching my requirements
  2. is there any chance to link to a word that is NOT part of the body text (to be precise: I created the chapter "Surprise", having a text box on the chapterpage with the word "surprise", ... than inserted pages, layouted my text ... and so on. Now I want to create a link from a self created overview (say page 3 of the book, with no template activated) to the word "surprise" on the chapter page.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:20 AM

6 replies

Feb 23, 2012 3:19 AM in response to GeePeeGee

is there any chance to hide or delete the auto-directory

If by "auto-directory" you mean Table of Contents, the answer is no, you can not delete it and create you own.

is there any chance to link to a word that is NOT part of the body text

Yes. A single word can act as a link. But not as a link fromyour own ToC.

- Fabe

Feb 23, 2012 4:20 AM in response to Fabe

Hhm, thanx

@1 - frustrating (see headline); if I would only understand these silly restrictions ....

@1+ - why is a galery-image restricted to an minumum width of 279px ...

@2 - whenever I try, add-Bookmark "+" is grayed out, no matter, if "placeholder" (menue: format/extended) is activeted or not.

my path:

I'm on a page/

page is formatted by a template-page/

I add a textbox/overwrite it with, say, "Situation in 1999"/

I highlight/activate the term

+ remains grey.

btw: regards from Hannover (Germany) to Hanover

Feb 23, 2012 4:38 AM in response to GeePeeGee

Mein Freund,

Step back, take a breath. iBooks Author is narrowly designed. It is not intended to be an all purpose design and publish application, suitable for all people in all situations. What that means is, a gap exists between what we envision and what iBooks Author can do. This forum is filled with questions from smart, hard-working writers, publishers, designers, and computer programmers who begin with "Why..." and end in "...the way I want?"

A Tableof Contents with 40 chapters is not a nightmare.

To gain some perspective on what this program is and what it does, I suggest reading this book, it's free: Publishing With iBooks Author, from O'Reilly press.

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025597.do?sortby=publicationDate

I shall ponder #2 above...

- Fabe

Feb 15, 2013 10:34 PM in response to GeePeeGee

This is how I solved "the problem"

a)

I created my own table of content WITHIN the Chapter "preface"

User uploaded file

As you see: each Chapter ha a picture and a headline (red arrow). IN FRONT of the headline (that you see) is a second headline (with opacity set to 0), that is activated as a hyperlink to the first words of the respective chapter. So tapping on the headline brings you to the chapter.

AND on every page in the book is an "i"-Button that brings you back to the ToC.

User uploaded file

So, the auto-directory is still there (as a second navgation tool), but the user may and shall use my ToC instead.

say, your books has 40 chapters - the auto-directory would be a nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.