Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The world's most advanced OS cannot search network drives?

I have set up my mac at work to connect to the smb network, yet I cannot search the shared folders via the finder.

I have looked high and low for a solution, read various threads (such as https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2677028?start=15&tstart=0 ), yet there does not seem to be a way to search via the finder.

I will pre-empt the apologists here, thanks, I don't want to hear you point of view about how I don't need this fuction. I don't want to hear how os x uses and index and apple are wise to disable it in network drives (yet they are not wise enough to implement any other way to search said drives...). I want to put my point across that they better fix it soon.

I also want to hear other people who 've run into this problem and if they 've found any work arounds. There's a free app called easyfind but I am not that happy with it, and there's also some convoluted terminal work around that has to be repeated every time os x starts from what I 've been reading.

I will also be submitting feedback to apple. Ios looking fancy artifacts are all good and well (I dislike them, but I am not that much bothered) but what about some real functionality in core os services such as the finder?

Does any one at the os x team really think it's acceptable in 2012 that your mac connects to a network drive in an office and can't search it? I am using a folder in the network to store my work and I can't search that folder to quickly find something to show to a colleague? What do you expect me to do copy it over to my local drive, use a third party app to sync it to the network, and search my local drive instead?

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:57 AM

17 replies

Feb 23, 2012 4:25 AM in response to applesuper

Using Finder connect to the computer that you want to search.

You may have to use connect as and enter your credentials to access that computer.

Double click on the share on that computer that you want to search (you can't search a computer that has not been configured to allow it).

Type the first character of the search term

The search will default to the computer that you are using.

Just below the search box select the share name that you just double clicked.

Finish entering your search term.

Works for me.

Aug 31, 2012 7:56 AM in response to applesuper

First of all, I'm a designer, so forgive me if I do not have all the details or speak the lingo correctly.

I have this problem too, and it's very frustrating (smb drives here too). Does anyone know if Mountain Lion sovles this? Wondering if I need to talk to our IT about upgrading.

I've tried the terminal thing about enableing indexing, etc. This seems to work selectively and is not a turnkey solution. I don't care how Apple fixes this but I hope it is soon! Wasting a lot of time looking for things that I shouldn't have to...

Thanks!

Aug 31, 2012 8:45 AM in response to applesuper

applesuper wrote:

What works for you? Did you read any of my post before condescending me with "double click on your share" and "finish entering your search term"? I guess my pre-empting of such posts hasn't helped so far...

I have no problems at all searching Network drives (NAS and shared drives on other machines) either your system is not working right or you are not doing it right.

Open the shared folder, type your criteria in the search box (top right), set the folders to be searched

User uploaded file

And the results pour in.

Oct 3, 2012 6:40 AM in response to two freckles

two freckles wrote:

True, but as for "The word's most advanced OS" it shouldn't be anyones experience 🙂 But to be 100% serious I'm using 3 Apple Machines (2 iMacs and one book pro), all runing Lion and all behave same way, meaning they do not search files correctly.

I deploy 32 to 37 Macs on a daily basis, mainly Mini's a few iMacs, none have the issue, check your methodology.

The world's most advanced OS cannot search network drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.