Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There was a problem connecting to the server

I have a reoccuring problem of a dialog popping up saying There was a problem connecting to the server <servername> when <servername> is a device that is a previous instance of a Time Capsule/Time Machine device name. It seems to happen most often when I'm attempting to access media, mainly photos I believe, from within System Preferenes, Pages, Bento or various other apps that gather a list of items, such as the media browser.

I've rebooted in safe mode, cleaned the cache, etc. but nothing I've done can make it stop.

I believe it's because the OS is trying to access a previously attached remote device that is no longer there but who's name persists in some plist or system variable.

After dismissing the dialog enough times, it stops complaining. Obviously the logic has walked through some list or hit a fail-give up count. I think it's a system issue because it happens in more than one app.

In watching the process list, NetAuthAgent appears when the problem arises and disappears after the last offending dialog is dismissed.

I've looked at all the other threads on this site and tried various things to no avail.

Ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:32 AM

There are no replies.

There was a problem connecting to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.