Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

downloading MP3 instead of MP4 or converting MP4 to MP3

I'm a DJ and downloaded some files which I thought were MP3 but turned out to be MP4 and Serato SL1 will not read MP4 how do I download MP3 from the itune store? or how do I convert MP4 to MP3?

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 5:17 AM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2012 8:56 AM in response to guirmav

Tracks purchased from the iTunes Store are available only in AAC. If you want MP3, it's easiest if you just from another download store. Amazon sells tracks in MP3, for instance.

If you want to buy from the iTunes Store, you can convert the tracks to MP3. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550

Please note, though, that tracks from the iTunes Store are not licensed for commercial use, so you cannot use them in a DJ business. The same terms apply to many download stores, including Amazon (at least the last time I read their terms of sale).

Regards.

Aug 23, 2015 3:29 PM in response to varjak paw

which other formats are available at iTunes store and how do I download them instead of m4a (I don't like how m4a sound in modern mixes that use distortion, although it's closer to analog than mp3, technically it's inferior). Also...

I already downloaded an album in m4a, how do I download it again in mp3 to not transcode, or get a refund and buy the album again but download it in mp3 now.

So...

Aug 23, 2015 3:52 PM in response to MarioGuerson

"which other formats are available at iTunes store and how do I download them instead of m4a"

None. All music purchases from the iTunes Store are in AAC (m4a) format, almost all at 256kpbs. As noted, other online retailers such as Amazon provide MP3 files (typically varying between 256-320kbps)

"(I don't like how m4a sound in modern mixes that use distortion, although it's closer to analog than mp3, technically it's inferior)."

Actually, AAC is technically superior to MP3, though that is really only measurable or perceptible at lower bit rates (128kbps or lower). If you're concerned about audio quality you should probably avoid all lossy formats and get your music from CD or other lossless sources ... though not mainstream, there are some online retailers that sell lossless audio, typically in FLAC format, either in CD encoding (16bit, 44.1kHz) or higher bit depths/sampling frequency up to 24/192. Of course, if you really like the limitations and distortion of analog sources, you can always stick to vinyl 😁.

downloading MP3 instead of MP4 or converting MP4 to MP3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.