Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC>Time capsule> Mac

I recently switched from a PC to a Mac. As it turns out my old external drive is not compatible with my Mac. I need to get a new one to transfer the old files. I would like to get a time capsule. Can I use it though to transfer files from PC to Mac? I have heard people say that they cannot write PC files to a time capsule.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:02 AM

4 replies

Feb 23, 2012 7:23 AM in response to moxiestmarie

A Time Capsule costs about 4 times as much as an external hard drive of the same capacity. Unless you really need its features, there's no reason for you to buy one. It won't help you get the files off your old drive.

If the drive doesn't show up in Disk Utility when you connect it, it's just not working. There may not be any easy way to get the data out. If it still mounts on a PC, then use a PC to copy the files to another drive.

Feb 23, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks a lot! I have gotten the files off of the old PC, onto the old drive. The drive does not show up in that disk utility window. I considered the Time Capsule because I liked the way that it works seamlessly with time machine, plus I have been sharing internet with a neighbor who is moving and will be needing the router in the near future.

PC>Time capsule> Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.