Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beside RAM, can I upgrade the hardwares of my Macbook Pro?

I have a 13" Macbook Pro (mid-2010). I know that the RAM can be upgraded by just adding RAM to it.

How about other hardwares like processor, harddrive, or battery? Can I upgrade it through Apple?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:54 AM

3 replies

Feb 23, 2012 9:44 AM in response to C.W. Hui

Because your MBP is a unibody design, it is difficult to do upgrades even to the usual suspects such as hard drive and RAM. The processor is part of the logic board and cannot be upgraded. The battery is built in and should only be replaced by an Apple technician. The user's manual for your MBP (located here if you don't have it handy) shows in chapter 3 how to swap out hard drive and RAM. Probably the most useful of upgrades would be from disk based hard drive to a solid state drive (SSD) which is extraordinarily fast and reliable. You can put in up to 8GB of RAM (2 x 4GB modules) as well.

Be warned - if you mess it up, damage caused by you during the upgrade will not be covered by Apple's warranty or an AppleCare agreement. Further, any parts not purchased from Apple would not be covered as well. Some Apple service providers will do hard drive upgrades and almost all will add RAM if asked.

That being said, I upgraded my hard drive to a 500GB model a year or so ago and love it.

Best of luck.

Beside RAM, can I upgrade the hardwares of my Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.