Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote on iPad and MathType, do they go together?

I created some math presentations with keynote on my Mac. I used MathType to insert equations and formulas.

iCloud synched those presentations on my iPad (32GB, Wi-Fi+3G) flawlessly but, on opening them, I found formulas being replaced by grey squares.

Does anybody know if MathType is compatible with keynote for iPad and, if not, is there any other software I can use for formulas or equations to show on the tablet?

Thank you.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 10:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2014 3:44 PM in response to Borbilla

This is an on-going source of frustration, as Keynote for the iPad only has a subset of functionality compared to the desktop Keynote. (The version 6 down-grading has made this even harder to use as an effective teaching and scientific presentation tool.)

I've used two workarounds:

(1) Export all your keynote slides with equations as single png images, and load them back in to replace the broken slides. This of course destroys the vector graphics, so it is a lossy workaround.

(2) Set your equations in LaTex, compile as a PDF, and cut-and-paste from Preview's display of the PDF into Keynote. This embeds the equation as a PDF and preserves the vector graphics. However, it is a lot of work if you have already made the investment in MathType.

Apr 1, 2014 4:29 PM in response to Bill Scott

Bill Scott wrote:

This is an on-going source of frustration, as Keynote for the iPad only has a subset of functionality compared to the desktop Keynote.

That's very true, but one thing has improved since this thread started 2 years ago -- equations added to Keynote 5 or 6 for OS X show up just fine in Keynote 2 for iOS. This was not the case with Keynote 1 for iOS.

http://www.dessci.com/en/support/MathType/works_with.asp#!target=apple_keynote_i os

Bob

Keynote on iPad and MathType, do they go together?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.