Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off "Welcome message" for wifi network

In my old settings I used a "welcome message" for anyone connecting to my wifi network. Now --- like two years later --- I am extremely tired of that annoying stupid message and I want to turn it off. But I can't find any possibility to turn it off or redefine the message in Airport utility 6.0

As I remember it. it belonged to the "advanced" section before. And now there is no "advanced" section anymore. Does this mean that some of my settings are HIDDEN FROM ME??? Am I out of control?

Does this mean that this is the starting point to look for something else - leaving apple?

Anyone out there, please guide me, and help me to come to the conclusion that I am actually still in control, and that I still like the Apple products (that I have been doing for the last five years or so).

Please.

And plese let there SOON be an advanced section. I could do with an "opt"-cklick or something else that's not "in your face".

Please

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:40 PM

Download and install the full featured AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Open up the application and click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab under the icons

Edit out the DHCP Message and click Update to save the settings.

Might be a good idea to keep AirPort Utility 5.6 on your Mac along with 6.0....which you cannot delete.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2012 1:40 PM in response to tjoflong

Download and install the full featured AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Open up the application and click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab under the icons

Edit out the DHCP Message and click Update to save the settings.

Might be a good idea to keep AirPort Utility 5.6 on your Mac along with 6.0....which you cannot delete.

Aug 17, 2012 3:22 PM in response to wpwiv

is there another way?

If you have been using Time Machine, and had AirPort Utility 5.6 installed on Lion, go back in time before the "upgrade" to Mountain Lion and restore AirPort Utility 5.6 to the desktop.

Then, simply move it into the the Utilities folder in Mountain Lion and it will co-exist with AirPort Utility 6.1.

Works fine for me....but since this is not officially supported....there are no guarantees.

Dec 23, 2012 10:50 PM in response to tjoflong

With my new Macbook Pro (Retina), I'm having this issue badly. Repeatedly displays the custom "Welcome" message I entered in years ago. Doesn't show up on the other Macs on the network (iMac 2011 and Macbook Pro 2007) or any of the iOS devices. As mentioned in another post, the Airport Utility 5.6 is unable to be installed on Mountain Lion. Anyone have another suggestion?

Sep 7, 2014 11:45 AM in response to tjoflong

Can't Turn off on Welcome message for AIRPORT or TIME CAPSULE solved

This is a fairly simple process to do, and it works with any version of AIRPORT utility.

Step 1: Open AIRPORT Utility

Step 2: Click the EDIT button on the AIRPORT/TIME CAPSULE you want to modify or delete the Welcome message

Step 3: From the FILE menu, choose Export Configuration File. Note the name of the file you exported.

Step 4: Open FINDER and find the file name you exported. Using TextEdit program, open the file you exported

Step 5: Do a find on the string dhMg

Step 6: You will see a string such as:

<key>dhMg</key>

<string>Welcome to my wireless network or this might be blank</string>

Step 7: After the <string> Enter any message you want or delete a message if you no longer desire. It will look something like

<key>dhMg</key>

<string>Welcome to the UXO.NET Wireless Network.</string>

or if you want to delete messages

<key>dhMg</key>

<string></string>

Step 8: Save the TextEdit file

Step 9: From the AIRPORT utility, choose IMPORT CONFIGURATION FILE

Step 10: Select the file you just saved

Step 11: Click UPDATE button. AIRPORT/TIME CAPSULE will reboot

Step 12: Enjoy your new message or lack thereof

Can't turn off "Welcome message" for wifi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.