11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2014 7:23 AM by Gudhagh
tjoflong Level 1 Level 1

In my old settings I used a "welcome message" for anyone connecting to my wifi network. Now --- like two years later --- I am extremely tired of that annoying stupid message and I want to turn it off. But I can't find any possibility to turn it off or redefine the message in Airport utility 6.0

As I remember it. it belonged to the "advanced" section before. And now there is no "advanced" section anymore. Does this mean that some of my settings are HIDDEN FROM ME??? Am I out of control?

Does this mean that this is the starting point to look for something else - leaving apple?

Anyone out there, please guide me, and help me to come to the conclusion that I am actually still in control, and that I still like the Apple products (that I have been doing for the last five years or so).

Please.

And plese let there SOON be an advanced section. I could do with an "opt"-cklick or something else that's not "in your face".

Please

Solved by Bob Timmons on Feb 23, 2012 1:40 PM Solved

Download and install the full featured AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Open up the application and click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab under the icons

Edit out the DHCP Message and click Update to save the settings.

Might be a good idea to keep AirPort Utility 5.6 on your Mac along with 6.0....which you cannot delete.

• Bob Timmons Level 10 Level 10

Download and install the full featured AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion

Open up the application and click Manual Setup

Click the Internet icon

Click the DHCP tab under the icons

Edit out the DHCP Message and click Update to save the settings.

Might be a good idea to keep AirPort Utility 5.6 on your Mac along with 6.0....which you cannot delete.

• tjoflong Level 1 Level 1

Done! Thanks.

• kakiki Level 1 Level 1

Seriously ? You want to leave Apple because of a message you had placed instead of trying to fix it I heard Android is looking for users

• wpwiv Level 1 Level 1

Unfortunately Utility 5.6 won't run on Mountain Lion - is there another way?

is there another way?

If you have been using Time Machine, and had AirPort Utility 5.6 installed on Lion, go back in time before the "upgrade" to Mountain Lion and restore AirPort Utility 5.6 to the desktop.

Then, simply move it into the the Utilities folder in Mountain Lion and it will co-exist with AirPort Utility 6.1.

Works fine for me....but since this is not officially supported....there are no guarantees.

• chrisbarth Level 1 Level 1

With my new Macbook Pro (Retina), I'm having this issue badly. Repeatedly displays the custom "Welcome" message I entered in years ago. Doesn't show up on the other Macs on the network (iMac 2011 and Macbook Pro 2007) or any of the iOS devices. As mentioned in another post, the Airport Utility 5.6 is unable to be installed on Mountain Lion. Anyone have another suggestion?

the Airport Utility 5.6 is unable to be installed on Mountain Lion.

See this article to learn how to install AirPort Utility 5.6 on Mountain Lion:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167965/mountain_lion_and_the_ancient_airport_ba se_station.html

• chrisbarth Level 1 Level 1

While I understand the "fix" provided in the link, that's absolutely not what I expect from Apple. Using shareware to break into an older app which has been made artificially "unable to install" sounds very much like a Windows solution... I'm disappointed.

• mgaedeke Level 1 Level 1

I'm having the same issue - under Mavericks. I tried the suggested macworld article, but even doing it that way won't allow AirPort Utility 5.6 to run . I assume I'm SOL?

Any suggestions?

• Gunner Rich Level 1 Level 1

Can't Turn off on Welcome message for AIRPORT or TIME CAPSULE solved

This is a fairly simple process to do, and it works with any version of AIRPORT utility.

Step 1: Open AIRPORT Utility

Step 2: Click the EDIT button on the AIRPORT/TIME CAPSULE you want to modify or delete the Welcome message

Step 3: From the FILE menu, choose Export Configuration File. Note the name of the file you exported.

Step 4: Open FINDER and find the file name you exported. Using TextEdit program, open the file you exported

Step 5: Do a find on the string dhMg

Step 6: You will see a string such as:

<key>dhMg</key>

<string>Welcome to my wireless network or this might be blank</string>

Step 7: After the <string> Enter any message you want or delete a message if you no longer desire. It will look something like

<key>dhMg</key>

<string>Welcome to the UXO.NET Wireless Network.</string>

or if you want to delete messages

<key>dhMg</key>

<string></string>

Step 8: Save the TextEdit file

Step 9: From the AIRPORT utility, choose IMPORT CONFIGURATION FILE

Step 10: Select the file you just saved

Step 11: Click UPDATE button. AIRPORT/TIME CAPSULE will reboot

Step 12: Enjoy your new message or lack thereof

• Gudhagh Level 1 Level 1

Worked here with AirPort 6.3.4 on OS X 10.10. Thank you.