Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Invalid Serial Number

I have a 2007 Macbook Pro that I bought from a private party on Craigslist a year ago. It died last week so I took it to the local Apple Store for repair. They told me that the serial number on the computer is not in their system. They looked deeper inside the computer for the serial number and found another one and that is also invalid (not in their system.) The genius bar employee told me there was nothing they could do for me in this case, so I took it to another Apple Store and they confirmed that the serial number "does not exist" - and they are looking into what can be done, but it has been a few days and they have not come up with a way to help me. Does anyone have any experience with this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:17 PM

10 replies

Jun 10, 2017 8:35 AM in response to Slamb75

I found a Late-2013 15 inches with a good price at a local ebay-like site.

Seller showed me the invoice and seems that's everything ok, but when I check it's serial it's not listed... says that's invalid.

Wondering ...

1) that's a stolen one, does Apple have this option to erase a serial due if the customer requests it ?

2) that's from a local authorized shop that recovered a bad one and now it's selling ... how does apple do with bad systems that were recovered by new ones to their legit owners ?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Jun 10, 2017 9:38 AM in response to TheUnF_Tufin

Wondering ...

1) that's a stolen one, does Apple have this option to erase a serial due if the customer requests it ?

Apple does not get involved in ANY claims of stolen Hardware, unless it was stolen BEFORE it was sold to a consumer.

--------

Computers that were re-issued as Apple-refurbished get a new and different serial number.

Repair parts that have been fixed and re-tested get a new Zero serial number, and the Apple-Authorized Service Provider changes the serial number to a new one at Apple's direction.

--------

What can happen is a computer was repaired, and the technician forgets to replace the serial number on the newly-installed repair part with an updated serial number. But Apple repair parts are supposed to have serial number all zeroes, and we have seen users with that problem complain here.

It would take a double error by Apple to end up in the field with a serial number, but an invalid one.

Perhaps it was repaired by an unauthorized fixer, who did not have the ability to change the serial numbers, and/or the part used was a salvaged part, not genuine Apple remanufactured part.

Feb 23, 2012 2:13 PM in response to Slamb75

Looks like you bought a pig in a poke. I would assume you neglected to check the serial number at the time of purchase. Have you checked the serial number at this web site:

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

You have a 5 year old MBP that has died. Cost of repair gets you a 5 year old MBP. You may want to chaulk this up to experience and purchase a new one. (from Apple).

Feb 23, 2012 2:37 PM in response to sig

Already bought a new MBP (using it now) that I bought from Apple. I am just curious about the old one. I knew it was not going to be a long-term computer when I got it, and for the price it served me well for the year that I used it. No, I have not checked that site for the serial number. Thanks.

Feb 23, 2012 3:32 PM in response to Slamb75

Slamb75 wrote:

They told me that the serial number on the computer is not in their system.

Likely one that "fell off the truck" and got into circulation somehow.

2007 is a dated machine and Apple doesn't like fixing things, only repairing present selling hardware.

You can have it fixed online or by local Mac geeks depending upon the issue.

iFixit has parts, Otherworld Computing has videos.

Macbook Pro Invalid Serial Number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.