Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Point Home Folders to NAS?

I have a nice new Mac Mini with Lion setup. I have a Synology Diskstation setup on my network and I house all of my documents, pictures, movies and music on the diskstation. It would be really nice if I could somehow point my Mac's corresponding home folders to the folders on my NAS. Is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Jake

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:04 PM

Not really a good idea, you should leave the system folders which includes the Home folder where they are. I would think you are most interested in saving documents, music, photos, movies etc on the NAS. In that case for the media use:

iPhoto: How to move the Library to an EHD

iTunes: How to move the library to an EHD

iMovie: How to move the Library to an EHD

and then create documents folder on NAS for other docs and begin saving the documents there.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2012 2:04 PM in response to Jake Wallace

Not really a good idea, you should leave the system folders which includes the Home folder where they are. I would think you are most interested in saving documents, music, photos, movies etc on the NAS. In that case for the media use:

iPhoto: How to move the Library to an EHD

iTunes: How to move the library to an EHD

iMovie: How to move the Library to an EHD

and then create documents folder on NAS for other docs and begin saving the documents there.

Feb 23, 2012 2:14 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks rkaufmann. You are right, I am looking more to simply save my docs to my NAS. A couple of quick follow-up questions. Is there any way to make it so the apple home folders include results from the corresponding NAS folders? Like when I click on my home documents folder it shows results from a specifc NAS folder. Also, will spotlight search for results on my NAS?

Thanks again.

Jake

Feb 23, 2012 2:21 PM in response to Jake Wallace

Is there any way to make it so the apple home folders include results from the corresponding NAS folders? Like when I click on my home documents folder it shows results from a specifc NAS folder. Also, will spotlight search for results on my NAS?

Thanks again.

Jake

Not that I know of however what I'd do is just use the sidebar in Finder. Once you have the folder's you most commonly access on the NAS just drag them to the sidebar, this will create an alias that shows what you have stored there. While I don't use a NAS what I do have several folders I frequently access, I simply put them in the sidebar to shorten my time in locating and opening documents.

Feb 23, 2012 3:01 PM in response to rkaufmann87

A word of caution: Neither iPhoto nor Aperture Libraries should be run from a NAS. They need to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, saving edits and sharing the photos.

Regards

TD

Jul 12, 2012 3:48 AM in response to Jake Wallace

Yes you can, and I have followed the instructions set out in the Synology guide and it works just fine.

http://usdl.synology.com/download/packages/UserGuide/DirectoryServer_enu.pdf

You need to enable LDAP server on your Synology NAS, and then follow the instructions set out in the guide firstly to link your OS Lion Mac to the LDAP server, then follow the above to create the "MacHome" home folders for your users. This way your users who log into the Mac will be "network users" (instead of local users) and their home folders will be all on the NAS, not the local Mac machine.

Hope this helps.

Jun 20, 2013 2:57 AM in response to ajm_from_WA

Correct, you don't need to use OSX server at all, using Synology's LDAP server package is required, and following the above URL/PDF documentation to setup it up right. This needs to be followed to map the "home" folder that you create on the Synology NAS to the LDAP user accounts. Once done right, every LDAP account, including new ones, automactially creates a "home" folder on the NAS and uses it. As for controlling preferences... no it doesn't do this and doesn't have the option to as far as I'm aware. The only control you have is for permissions (User groups / users etc) for folder/file restrictions.

Jun 20, 2013 6:35 AM in response to cabe83

that sounds awesome. I tried OSX server for 6 months and it melted down 4 times and had to be completely rebuilt, so I gave up on it for network user accounts and have just been using it as a simple file server.

Putting it on ebay and getting a diskstation is looking like a better idea every day.

My 2nd question was about workgroup manager, and whether you can use it to control preferences. I wouldnt' have expected it to work, but thought i'd ask.

Sep 7, 2014 2:43 PM in response to cabe83

HI Cable83,

I just buy a synology ds1513+

I try to configur the homes on it for my mac... every time I log it say that my folder is not in the usual place...

I use DSM5... install ldap server and configur it enable ldap user home service for. ldap user....

any idea ?????

because all they other thing just work fine

thank you

Point Home Folders to NAS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.