Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problems downloading mail attachments in iOS4 and iOS5

OK, I've found similar questions in the Apple Support Communities, but nothing that seems to exactly describe what we're experiencing here, nor anything that will help me fix what we're going through, so here goes...

In our environment, we're running Lotus Notes 8.5.x (I think it's 8.5.3, but I don't want to swear to that), with a Lotus Traveler server to pass our corporate email to our EAS devices, including our iPhones (3GS - 4S only) and iPads. Additionally, we've also got an mSuite 5.18 server for our legacy users that we're still migrating over to Lotus Traveler, also passing corporate email to the same types of devices, but also including some that the Traveler server can't support. Most of these devices are user-owned, but several are corporate devices, and the problem we're seeing affects both devices, which means to me that what we're seeing isn't anything to do with the device profiles installed on any of them.

Now that I've set up our environment, let me get on to the issue itself: It started manifesting before iOS5 was released, but after iOS 4.0.1, so it was after the timing "fix" was introduced (yes, I saw that thread, but it didn't tell me anything I hadn't already read). When we go to download some attachments using the paperclip icon near the top of the email, but not all, from emails, they will begin to download and fail partway through the download. Sometimes we can finish the download by tapping the "download the remainder of this message" button at the bottom of the email, but not always. Occasionally, that button will disappear completely. This strange behavior occurs regardless of whether or not we are on a wireless or cellular connection at the time the download is initiated. It has failed even on a wireless connection here at the office, so it doesn't appear to have anything to do with available bandwidth.

We've contacted IBM, and had them work with us on the Lotus Notes server, looking for issues there, and they found no problems with the server. As I look at the logs on the mSuite server, I see nothing out of the ordinary there either. I have seen similar behavior on my POP3 account for my personal email once or twice, but have had no reports of similar behavior from any of our nearly 300 connected users. Oddly enough, this doesn't affect any of our non-Apple users (which you'd expect if it were an EAS or Lotus issue).

Now that I've presented something interesting for you to try to digest, please feel free to think about it and let me know if you have any additional questions or things you need clarification on. I'm open for suggestions, as we'd really like to get this resolved...actually, we really NEED to get this resolved.

Thanks to all for your input!

--Mike

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:00 PM

1 reply

Having problems downloading mail attachments in iOS4 and iOS5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.