Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Hard Drive partition error?

So my mac's hard drive went out. So I bought a new one that is 160GB. I'm trying to partition it in Disk Utility, but there are a couple of problems I've run into. First, It's saying there is 1.2TB of space. I guess it's possible Western Digital put a wrong label on their drive, but that seems a bit unlikely, doesn't it? The second issue is that when I go to actually partition it, I get an error that says, "Partition failed with the error: input/output error". I have no idea what's going on, or what I should do. Can anyone help me out?

I'm using a Macbook w/ 10.4.11 (although strangely, that disk that came with my computer says 10.4.9, not sure how much of a difference that will make...). It is a 2.16GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, w/ 1GB of ram, if it helps.

Also, when I'm trying to partition, the settings I'm using are:

1 Partition, Formatted w/ Mac OS Extended (Journaled), & GUID Partition Table

Macbook

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 2:34 PM

4 replies

Nov 8, 2013 12:17 AM in response to fcogrincon

It ended up being a problem with the hard drive itself. I had bought a Western Digital drive, but some of their models don't work with Macs even though they say they do. I found that out after making a support post on Western Digital's site and talking with people there. I ultimately ended up just returning the hard drive to where I bought it and buying another one, a Samsung model which worked perfectly on the 1st try.

Macbook Hard Drive partition error?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.