Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder file search results are irregular

I have been able to find/not find files depending on the portion of the file name I enter.

Here is an example I have been able to replicate on independent OS 10.5 and 10.6 systems.

From the finder search window, I select "This Mac" and "File Name".

I enter the string "ATCF", I get numerous results (>20), no matter where the "ATCF" is located in the string (beginning, end, middle). I enter "TCF", and I get no results containing the string "ATCF", only files beginning with "TCF".

Here is another example (only tested on the 10.5 system).

The file is named D097300.pdf

If I enter the full name without extension, "D097300", it finds the file.

If I enter the partial string "97300", it does not find the file.

If I enter the partial string "097300", if finds the file.

It also finds it for "09730", "0973", "097", "09", i.e., if the string begins with "09".

To summarize, it seems to find the file if the search string starts with either the first character of the filename, or the second, but none of the other remaining characters in the file name.

Does any one have any idea what is going on?

This is not a new problem - it seems like I've had it as long as I've been on OS 10.5. I and the colleague running OS 10.6 don’t recall having these sorts of issues with OS 10.4.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 3:54 PM

5 replies

Feb 23, 2012 5:35 PM in response to X423424X

"Quirks" is a very nice way to put it. "Dysfunctionality" might be more accurate, and inexcusable, really. I am currently evaluating EasyFind, SpotInside, and Find Any File, the latter not being freeware for the latest versions. Generally speaking, they seem to work, but are slower.

It really shouldn't be necessary to use a 3rd party app for such a basic feature - any ideas as to why Finder search is not working properly and why it has persisted for so long?

Feb 23, 2012 5:56 PM in response to Blueberry Steve

I did quote the word "quirks", and yes, I was trying to be "nice". 😉

When you do a finder find (command F), search by filename (not "search for"), in your various examples, did you also specify the qualification "contains", or "begins with", etc. as appropriate?

Frankly, for general searches I use spotlight, but if I need a "real" serious search tool I use File Buddy, But because that is no longer supported I simply recommend Find any File instead. Easyfind is another alternative.

Feb 23, 2012 5:58 PM in response to Blueberry Steve

Blueberry Steve wrote:

I have been able to find/not find files depending on the portion of the file name I enter.

it seems to find the file if the search string starts with either the first character of the filename, or the second, but none of the other remaining characters in the file name.

That's not quite what happens. When you do the default search by name, Spotlight finds what it considers to be a word. For instance, it will find "leaf_blower", but not "leafblower" or "Hornblower". That's how the index was created, so that's what it finds. (If there is a reference which explains how the indexing service decides what in a file name is a word and what isn't, I haven't yet found it.)

To search for strings, rather than words, eg, to search for "blower" regardless of whether it's a word or not, you need to use the "Name" and "contains" criteria. If you don't see the Search Criteria bar, then either click the + button to the right of the Save button (if it's a - instead of a +, don't click it), or choose Show Search Criteria from the Action menu, ie

âš™

Then choose "Name" from the first pop-up menu and "contains" from the second (the latter is dynamic and changes depending on the selection in the first). I suspect your search results will conform closer to your expectations.

One tricky bit here. Make sure there's no string entered in the first Spotlight search box, the one with a magnifying glass icon. If there is, the "name contains" search will be performed only on the items found by the first search.

Now, don't ask why this behaviour isn't the default. I still miss the Find function in Panther; IMHO, Spotlight is a pathetic excuse for a search engine. If you want alternatives, in addition to Find Any File, I suggest EasyFind (which does a few different things from FAF) or John R Chang's Find File, which is a bit like FAF but very basic, with no options.

Feb 24, 2012 3:04 PM in response to fane_j

Thanks, X423424X and fane_j. Using "Name" "Contains" does do away with the annoying behavior described in my initial post. If I can configure my search window to start up with the "Name contains" option as a default, it would be workable - as it is, it is the 5th option that pops up when hitting the + button for search options - which makes it too painful to use.

finder file search results are irregular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.