Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

motion workflow with fcpx?

Hi! I have very basic question about the workflow between Final Cut Pro X and Motion 5.

I have two senarios:

one is where I just want to create cool looking titles in motion, and this answer I thing i have figured out, I just open up the motion project file that i have made with a specific title, in FCPX and i use it as a normal clip, is this the best way to do this?

two: I have a project im working on in FCPX and I want to animate stuff in the project, like match moves, effects particles etc, this is where I dont get it.

How are you supposed to use motion to achieve stuff inside of an ongoing project in fcp? Is the only way to do that to export certain parts of the project as a file and import the same file into motion and then add the stuff i wanted to do and ultimately reimport the the exportet version from motion to FCPX it seems like such a hassle. Maby im missing something obvious?

Every bit of help is appreciated.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 8:31 PM

For titles, transitions, effects, and generators, you create them in Motion by selecting the correct project type, then you PUBLISH them to FCP X so that they appear in the correct effects browser, where you then apply them to your project.

There is no roundtripping feature between FCP X and Motion 5 like there was with FCP 7 and Motion 4 and earlier, but in Motion you can access all your clips in the same Event folder and then do match moves, tracking, etc. - you then will have to render out a movie and bring that in to replace the clip in FCP X.

But generally easiest way is to publish the Motion project to the appropriate browser.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2012 8:31 PM in response to aksello

For titles, transitions, effects, and generators, you create them in Motion by selecting the correct project type, then you PUBLISH them to FCP X so that they appear in the correct effects browser, where you then apply them to your project.

There is no roundtripping feature between FCP X and Motion 5 like there was with FCP 7 and Motion 4 and earlier, but in Motion you can access all your clips in the same Event folder and then do match moves, tracking, etc. - you then will have to render out a movie and bring that in to replace the clip in FCP X.

But generally easiest way is to publish the Motion project to the appropriate browser.

Feb 28, 2014 9:04 AM in response to Mark Spencer4

Hi Guys

Sorry to ressurect such an old post. I'm just starting with FCXP, and I think I'm getting my head around it. It looks like Motion would be ace for creating custom titles. However, I always imagined Motion working like a plugin in FCPX, and I can't work out how the workflow described in the post above works for things like match move - where there needs to be a specific clip to match.

What I'm working on is a music video with some pretty swift transitions. I'd like to add match moving text to each shot.

What would be the ideal workflow for this type of motion graphic?

I should say at this point that I haven't yet bought Motion 5 - I'm just trying to work out if it can do what I'm after.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

motion workflow with fcpx?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.