Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back to My Mac - Multiple computers

Hello,

like many people on here I am the "home network administrator" wfor my wife, parents, youngin's etc...

We also tend to travel, so often we're not in the same home or even the same city/state.

I don't want them all logged in and syncing to my iCloud account, but I would like to be able to use Back to My Mac to help with random issues, and such as they come up. Is there a way for me to set this up, so that they can all be using their own AppleID's for iCloud, iTunes, etc... for day to day, but that I can still remotely help them when needed? I'm the center of contact for issues, system updates, etc..

none of them run as an administrator account, so I can sometimes help them using the screensharing through iChat, but then I can't really log out, and back in again.

It would be very nice to be able to connect into my account on their machines to troubleshoot stuff, do updates, etc...

Anyhow, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Everyone is Running Mac OS X 10.7.x (10.7.2 & 10.7.3at the time of posting this)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 4:37 PM

3 replies

Feb 23, 2012 7:12 PM in response to arkling

I pretty much handle things the way you do.

For my personal computers I use one iCloud account and enable Back to My Mac on them and my AirPort routers. This gives me complete remote access to my computers and network without having to involve anyone else.

For other people I set them up with their own iCloud accounts and enable the accounts in iChat. Whenever they need assistance they just need to contact me and we can initiate a screen sharing session that allows me to help them with any problems they may have.

I also make sure that all my family members' homes have AirPort routers and I add 'my' iCloud account to their Back to My Mac configuration. This allows me to connect to their AirPort routers remotely to troubleshoot any network related problems and to make any necessary adjustments.

Now, what you can try is to create another user account on those computers that you want to access. Make that user account an administrator and enable iCloud using your iCloud account and enable Back to My Mac. This should give you access to those computers using Back to My Mac with your iCloud account and without needing any interaction from anyone on the other end. For privacy reasons I don't use the method but it should work for you as long as the people whose computers you are accessing don't have a problem with you having unfettered access to their computers.

When you enable iCloud on those remote computers with your iCloud account don't enable any of the other services except Back to My Mac. You don't want things like your calendar or contacts to sync with those computers.

Feb 14, 2014 4:29 PM in response to arkling

In Message in 10.8 , in preference, in alert, select invitation to share your screen

and select the applescript that you will create with the script below

You are going to have to enter the name of the account that you allow to control the computer

in the line

setmembreDeLaFamilleto {“Name FirstName”, ”Name FistName”}

in my case, it was Name Firstname but it depand on what t show on the Aim Windows

Saddly, this system is gone in 10.9

very very sad

using terms from application "Messages"

on received text invitationunTextefromunePersonneQuiAppelleforleChat

if verifieLaPersonne(unePersonneQuiAppelle) then

acceptleChat

end if

end received text invitation

on received audio invitationtheTextfromunePersonneQuiAppelleforleChat

acceptleChat

end if

end received audio invitation

on received video invitationunVideofromunePersonneQuiAppelleforleChat

acceptleChat

end if

delay 5

tell application "Messages" to activate

set zoomed of front window to true

end received video invitation

on received remote screen sharing invitationfromunePersonneQuiAppelleforleChat

acceptleChat

end if

end received remote screen sharing invitation

on received local screen sharing invitationfromunePersonneQuiAppelleforleChat

acceptleChat

end if

end received local screen sharing invitation

on received file transfer invitationtheFileTransfer

accepttheFileTransfer

end if

end received file transfer invitation

end using terms from

on verifieLaPersonne(laPersonneQuiAppelle)

set utilisateurSecuritaire to false

set membreDeLaFamille to {“Name FirstName”, ”Name FistName”}

set leNomDeLaPersonneQuiAppelle to name of laPersonneQuiAppelle

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in membreDeLaFamille

set unMembreDeLaFamille to itemi of membreDeLaFamille

if leNomDeLaPersonneQuiAppelle = unMembreDeLaFamille then

set utilisateurSecuritaire to true

end if

end repeat

tell application "System Events"

set ss to current screen saver

stopss

end tell

return utilisateurSecuritaire

end verifieLaPersonne

Back to My Mac - Multiple computers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.