Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just downloaded Snow Leopard and now my Canon printer is "offline": won't print

I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6.8 so that I could use a newer version of pages. But now I can'tprint anything becase when I try the printer dialogue box says that the printer is "offline" How can I fix this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 6:30 PM

9 replies

Feb 23, 2012 7:31 PM in response to sandrafrompoughkeepsie

First, you should update to 10.6.8, most easily accomplished by running software update. There are some printer drivers included in some of those updates.

Next, you didn't indicate what model your Canon printer is. That would help in troubleshooting.

Third -- have you power cycled your printer? Also, some of those dialogues showing "printer offline" provide a button to "take online." Is there a button or option for that in your dialogue?

Fourth -- I have a Canon printer (MG8120 model) and after upgrading one of our iMacs to 10.6.8 I had to reinstall the original Canon printer software and drivers from the CD's that came with it. Then it worked fine.

Feb 23, 2012 8:52 PM in response to sandrafrompoughkeepsie

Another idea is to open the Print Pane in System Preferences. Make sure the printer is turned on and plugged in. Then click the '-' to delete the printer (if it is listed there); after that click the '+' to add a printer. If the computer recognizes it, it may just work and/or it may show you a window that you need to install software - click ok. I just went through this when I upgraded Lion.

Feb 24, 2012 4:11 AM in response to babowa

Thank you, too, for taking the time to reply.

I did go to the printer pane: didn'thelp.

I am willing to uninstall and reinstall the CD driver. I have not ever uninstalled someting like this [yes, I am a novice...]

Could you walk me through this? I went to applications and found many thingslisted under "Canon utilities" but not how to uninstall this.

Thanks.

I just downloaded Snow Leopard and now my Canon printer is "offline": won't print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.