Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail message keeps reappearing

I run 2 iMacs with 10.7.3 and Apple Mail. They run on the same wireless network. The mail server is sbcglobal.net. This problem is on only one machine. The other works fine. I tried to send a message with a large attachment (sent the original file instead of the compressed one by mistake). I aborted it when I saw how long it was taking to upload and sent a new message with a compressed attachment. The original message keeps popping up in a "Recovered" mailbox. I delete the message and empty the trash. It reappears within seconds (as unopened mail). I delete it and I delete the "Recovered" mailbox and empty the trash. Within seconds it reappears and recreates the mailbox. It duplicates itself. I also cannot receive mail. I get a perpetually spinning wheel. I can send mail but it takes minutes to go out. I followed the steps in "Mail: Troubleshooting send and receiving email messages" including that I tried rebuilding my inbox.That has been going on for two hours and is still in progress. I rescanned my computer with Symantec Endpoint Protection. Of note, the message I was responding to when all this happened was from a phishing expedition - a friend had responded to a message to "verify" his e-mail address because sbcglobal.net was allegedly being phased out. His account then sent me a request for money because he had been mugged in Europe. I wrote back to him to tell him he'd been hacked and this problem began the next day. This is day 3.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:35 PM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2012 3:51 AM in response to Jeffrey Lee

In my older Mac OS, therse instructions all make sense. In Lion (10.7), in my user folder I find folders labeled Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures, Public. I do not find a Mail folder the way I found it in OS 10.4. I have an old back up hard drive set up under 10.4, and I can follow your instructions exactly there, but that doesn't work for me in 10.7. (PS: irrelevant correction to my original post - network is actually 1 iMac and 1 Macbook Pro.)

Feb 24, 2012 4:32 AM in response to jrperser

OK. That helped, in that I found the folders. I found 265 copies of the message in Recovered folder, none in outbox. I deleted them all, restarted the computer, checked Outbox and Reocovered folders and saw no messages, restarted mail, and everything looks the same - spinning wheel, no new mail, the same unopened message in the Recovered mailbox. Got to leave for work so I can't try anything else right now.

Feb 24, 2012 4:23 PM in response to do i have to

update: I got home from work and there were multiple copies of the nefarious message in my Recovered folder again. I deleted them all (.emix files), checked other folders and found no others. I deleted the folder and restarted computer, checked again and found nothing, reopened mail, and there was a new Recovered folder with 2 copies in it. I deleted them. As I'm writing, I see another copy there. I just tried to get mail again but cannot. I don't find this message anywhere when I go to sbcglobal.net and look in folders. I cannot use Mail on this computer at all. Is it time to call Apple and pay for a service call? The computer is ~100 days old, so just outside the window for free telepohone service.

Feb 27, 2012 1:10 PM in response to do i have to

For anyone else looking, here is the solution that finally worked. My son found it via a Goolge search:

Best answer - Sarah (Google Employee) Go to this answer

chessop

Please follow below steps.

1.Take your gmail account offline from Mail and delete the recovered messages folder.

2. Download the widget to show the hidden files from http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/developer/hiddenfiles.html

3. Go to UserName/Library/Mail/IMAP-<username>@domain.tld@imap.domain.tld/.OfflineCache

4. Delete all the data under .OfflineCache folder - DO NOT DELETE the folder.

5. Close Mail application and reopen.

This should do the job.

Best regards,

Aadi

338 of 359 people found this answer helpful. Did you? Sign in to vote. Report abuse

mail message keeps reappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.