Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make a Tiger install disk from a used computer that didn't come with one?

A couple years ago I bought an old G5 PPC Desktop (Dual 2 GHz | PowerMac7,3) at my college's university-wide garage sale for $20.

It came pre-installed with Tiger, with a keyboard and mouse. That's it.

I recently purchased a new 15" MBP and am looking to donate my PPC. Before doing so I'd like to do a clean install of Tiger but as I have previously mentioned, it didn't come with an Install disk.

I currently have Leopard on it (10.5.8) but no longer have THAT install disk either.

Is there any hope of finding the install .dmg somewhere in the file system and using disk utility to make a DVD?

I've googled everywhere and made an account to ask this question.

Thank you for your time!

Also there's no category for the tower PPC in apples categories? Strange. Just for the PPC iMac...

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 7:47 PM

No, you must have an installer DVD for what you want to do. Unfortunately, you can't download one. You can call AppleCare to see if they still have copies of Leopard for sale, but I've heard they may be out. Amazon.com would be your other best choice.

5 replies

Feb 23, 2012 7:48 PM in response to i.resolve

No. Without the disk or a replacement, all you can do is to create a new administrator account and delete the existing one as well as any other files you don't want the new owner to see. Anything containing sensitive data should be securely deleted.

A replacement is the computer's original disks or a retail package at least as new as it, up to Mac OS X 10.5.6 for a PowerPC G4 or G5. Retail packages don't contain iLife unless otherwise noted.

(64343)

Feb 23, 2012 8:25 PM in response to i.resolve

Keep in mind that Niel's suggestion only removes your user account from the list. The data in your account is still present on the drive and accessible to anyone unless when you delete the account you select the option to Securely Delete. This will make all your data permanently inaccessible, but it will take quite some time to finish - hours up to days depending on how big the deleted account folder was.

How to make a Tiger install disk from a used computer that didn't come with one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.