Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My PC crashed and I need to set up the software on a new computer doe syncing to Outlook etc. How?

My computer crashed and I had to install a new hard drive. How to I install new software to use to manage my iPod Touch and sync to it and to Outlook?

Carl from Colorado

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 9:19 PM

3 replies

Feb 24, 2012 1:38 AM in response to pattonce

Make sure you installed iTunes and set up your account.

Syncing to a new iTunes library or computer will erase your iPod. Only if you back up your iPod manually before syncing, you can restore your device from that backup again. A manual backup does not include the sync process.

Disable autosync in iTunes, connect your iPod to your new computer and right click on it in the device list and choose backup. iTunes will backup your ipod without syncing.

Transfer your purchases the same way, choosing "transfer purchases" this time.

When you connect your device for the first time, all media content will be erased. But you can restore your settings and app data from your manual backup afterwards.

Don't forget to set up at least one contact and event on your new computer to be able to merge calendars and contacts when you sync the iPod for the first time.

Music is one way only, from the computer to your device, unless you bought the songs in itunes and transferred your purchases.

There is 3rd party software out there, but not supported by Apple, see this thread:http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2013615&tstart=0

About backups and what's saved:iTunes: About iOS backups

How to back up and restore:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

How to download apps for free again:http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Saving other data is also described here. How to back up your data and set up as a new device

Feb 24, 2012 6:27 AM in response to Ingo2711

Many thanks. One question leads to another. In my "Palm" days, when syncing anew using their "HotSync" (the software is still on my computer and I can't get rid of it), especially for the calendar, because it thought the times were different (maybe different zones), the sync would result in double entries for every entry in my calendar for everything from now to the distant past. It was a real pain. How can I be sure to avoid this. My only guess is to set up the same named calendar in Outlook, then add one entry (as you say), and then sync. Does that sound right?

Thanks again,

Carl Patton

2/24/2012

Feb 24, 2012 12:47 PM in response to pattonce

Sorry, I don't use Outlook, but have a look at these articles:

Syncing contacts and calendars to iPod with iTunes for Windows Vista or Windows 7

Advanced troubleshooting for Sync Services on Windows with Microsoft Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, or Outlook 2010

I think that you don't have to create the groups again on your computer in Outlook. But, to be save, backup your manual backup by moving the backup folder to a safe place before you start. The article "About Backups" also describes the location of the folder.

My PC crashed and I need to set up the software on a new computer doe syncing to Outlook etc. How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.