Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wanting to Get My First iPhone

Hey-

How can I get an idea what size iPhone 4S I should get? Is there a way to get an idea not only on the processor size but also the plan type. Right off I want the biggest to accomodate all the HD videos I take for work, but I really have no idea what size and pla I will need?

I have a Mobile Hotspot 3G now but I was going to get the MIFI 4G. Does tethering do the same thing as a Mobile Hotspot does like the Verizon MIFI 4510 4G? With the new iPhone 4S can you use your MacBook Pro wirelessly by setting up the iPhone a certain way (which I assume is what is called tethering)

this might get this question knocked of of this discusion, but does the iPhone 4S work best on the ATT network since they both came at the same time and that is the network the iPhone grew-up with. 😝

If the smartphones with the dual core processor are coming out, would you wait for this phone before getting an iPhone 4S (it looks like it has some new functions like Siri and it does have a dual core chip)

thanks for the help.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 10:09 PM

If you take a lot of HD videos go for the largest size phone.

You can use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot and then connect the MBP to the internet through it. You need to have a hotspot (or tethering) plan with your cell provider.

If you are going to use the iPhone as a hotspot the iPhone 4S will be faster on AT&T (HSPA+) than the CDMA phones, assuming you are in an area that AT&T has HSPA+.

Since you already said you were looking at a MiFi 4G you might want to wait for the next iPhone which will almost certainly be a 4G LTE phone.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2012 10:09 PM in response to NObodE

If you take a lot of HD videos go for the largest size phone.

You can use the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot and then connect the MBP to the internet through it. You need to have a hotspot (or tethering) plan with your cell provider.

If you are going to use the iPhone as a hotspot the iPhone 4S will be faster on AT&T (HSPA+) than the CDMA phones, assuming you are in an area that AT&T has HSPA+.

Since you already said you were looking at a MiFi 4G you might want to wait for the next iPhone which will almost certainly be a 4G LTE phone.

Feb 23, 2012 10:26 PM in response to deggie

Is it difficult to convert the iPhone 4S to a WiFi Hot Spot?

How do I find out if ATT in Salt Lake City has HSPA+? I thought all network connections that ATT has with iPhones has HSPA+ That is the reason everybody has told me to not stay with Verizon and when you get your iPhone 4S go to ATT.

I have a MIFI Mobile HotSpot 3G but it stopped working on the Verizon network. They are telling me to upgrade to the MIFI 4510 4G (I think the 4G MIFI is called), but if I can do the same thing by configuring the iPhone 4S (I am assuming only 1 person can connect) there would be no use getting the MiFI 4G.

The agent at ATT said the iPhone 4S is 4G, and that realy confused me because I know it is not, but what is it called 4 (just the next number in line?) and why would the ATT agent tell me their Mobile HotSpot is a 4G Hot Spot? I thought they did not have 4G, but I am so confused about who has what and just because it is this company they say it is better, blah, blah, blah.

Feb 23, 2012 11:01 PM in response to NObodE

1. No, you set up your account with your cell provider then consult the manual for the iPhone (available through the browser on your iPhone) and turn it on and set it up.

2. Call AT&T or go to their website and look at the service map for your area.

3. 5 people can connect to your iPhone hotspot.

4. AT&T (and T-Mobile) refer to HSPA+ as 4G which is a marketing stretch. It is faster than the 3G network on the iPhone connected to Sprint or Verizon, but it isn't really 4G. AT&T is busy implementing their 4G LTE network, that will be on the next iPhone.

Feb 24, 2012 1:21 AM in response to deggie

deggie-

it seems like you know a lot o what I want to now more of. Is it possible to PM you to clarify some of what you stated? It confusedme more. I am not aware that my cell phone has a bowser. Does it have a browser because you can connect to the internet, is that what you mean by the browser?

What I realy need to state, the moderators will remove my post if I ask what I realy want to know because I am with Verizon, and my questions are about staying with them because my contracts for the cell phone and the MIFI (their mobile hotspot, but mine stopped working and it is 3G.)

I was told that Verizon, actually i have been told so much I am so confused if I should say with Verizon or go to ATT and tap into this ad I see for the Apple Store where they charge you full price but throw in some classes, pay for applecare (which I could get at Verizon) but I have never even used a smartphone or iPhone so the classes they talk about in thier ad appeal to me. I am not talking about one-on-one but I gues they get it all set up for you before you leave.

However the Apple Store will not give me the New Every Two that Verizon used to have but is still giving it to customers who have not used theirs yet. which I do, so if I go to ATT I would lose the New Every Two, rebate type money that they use as staying with Verizon.

I would not want to be using the iPhone as a hot spot and then get an important call. what do you do if that happens? that is why I like the MIFI 4G and ATT has one like it, you take it with you, can put it on your dash on a road trip and use your mac or any laptop. But if the iPhone can do the exact same thing I am not sure I need to pay another $50/mnth for the MIFI 4G. If it does cost extra to add tethering to your iPhone then how do they know how many people are using it, do they go by how much GB you use per month?

A friend and I looked at her HTC Android phone under WiFi andit had her password and some other tuff which she did not know and it also said 4G, which was confusing because her provider is TMobile, but where she lives her reception is really bad, which is what I am dealing with now with my MIFI 3G so I am not sure of the 4G MIFI will work in the area I live. On Verizon's map it says yes I will get G but there is a small area that everybody has a problem with their 4G reception so the maps are not always able to give the whole story.

I spend so much time, years it has been and I am still using this 7 year old flip MOTO phone. I just need to do it. Like you say the next iPhone will be 4G, but if I keep waiting I will be waiting until I am dead before I et a iPhone or smartphone. So I am going to sign up for that service the Apple Store advertises, they will set your phone up, do some teachng, get you connecte to your new provider and plan, and then when that is all done I can cancel the plans I have now with Verizon. Personally I think if I get an iPhone I should go to ATT.

Feb 24, 2012 9:49 AM in response to NObodE

As I said in my earlier post both AT&T and T-Mobile refer to HSPA+ as 4G. The iPhone will not display 4G even if you are connected to HSPA+, T-Mobile phones will.

Verizon is ahead of AT&T in implementing LTE, which is 4G, since you are with them check to see if they have implemented it in your area. With the next iPhone both Verizon and AT&T iPhones will be using the same technology, LTE on their systems. If you can wait until sometime between June and September do that and stay with Verizon if you wish.

If you do not wish to wait, and HSPA+ is available in your area, I would go with the AT&T HSPA+ iPhone. You can buy the AT&T enabled phone at your Apple Store and have them set it up for you. I would also purchase AppleCare + there when you buy it.

And all smartphones have a browser to surf the internet with.

Feb 24, 2012 10:02 AM in response to stevejobsfan0123

"Here" (sic) what? That Verizon and AT&T are putting in 4G LTE networks? They already have in my area and have billboards up advertising the fact. That the next iPhone will be 4G LTE? Well if it isn't Mr. Jobs will be rolling over in his grave because it will be the first iPhone (if it is not 4G) that will eventually be sold at Big Lots for heavy discounts.

Feb 24, 2012 10:20 AM in response to Rysz

The major breakthrough will be in a hybrid chipset, which Qualcomm, Infineon and others are currently sampling. Current 4G phones are using separate chips for the various radios which causes much greater battery use. Given that the latest 4G phones do a much better job with battery life especially those that do not have the humongous screens, which are probably more responsible for battery depletion than 4G.

Same arguments were said regarding 3G but by the time Apple rolls out the next iPhone hybrid chips will be available. If Apple decides to wait until June - September 2013 they will be way late to the party.

Feb 24, 2012 10:26 AM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

While there has been no announcement as I said logic would dictate that to compete in the market Apple will have to have a 4G phone available next time around or become irrelevant in the phone world.

Deggie,

You should know as well as anyone here that speculation and rumor are forbidden by the TOS here. There has been no announcement at all about 4G iPhones.

Feb 24, 2012 10:30 AM in response to KiltedTim

I didn't speculate with my post to the OP. I stated definitively that if he wanted to wait that long AT&T and Verizon will be on the same technology, 4G LTE and the iPhone will have it.

I wasn't aware you had been made a moderator, congratulations on your new job. Did you have to move to Cupertino or Austin?

Maybe we should all return to his immediate issue, which phone he should get, where he should get it, etc., and cease with the OT stuff.

Feb 24, 2012 10:37 AM in response to deggie

deggie wrote:

I didn't speculate with my post to the OP. I stated definitively that if he wanted to wait that long AT&T and Verizon will be on the same technology, 4G LTE and the iPhone will have it.

And how, exactly, is this not speculation? Or are you violating a NDA agreement regarding inside information on that the iPhone will or won't have?

You know better.

As for the OP's original question, Yes, tethering does the same thing as your mobile hotspot. Data speeds will be best on AT&T (assuming you're in an area where AT&T has good HSPA+ coverage) since they are the only supported network in the US running HSPA+.

As for waiting for dual core... the 4S IS dual core.

Wanting to Get My First iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.