Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you increase shared video memory?

I own an iMac with 256mb of shared video memory and have been dying to find a way of making the computer use more of my 8gb of RAM for video memory than it currently is (specifically for an improved gaming performance). Does anyone know of a way? Thanks in advance.

iMac

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 1:44 AM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2012 2:28 AM in response to mcadzow

Shared video memory? What's that? Your computer has ram, your video card has ram. You can change the amount of ram in your computer. But your video card is what it is. It cannot be changed.

I think what your want is more ram for your computer. Go to OWC to see possible choices for your model. You don't have to buy there if you don't want (but I always recommend them). But at least you will see what choices are available to you.

Feb 24, 2012 4:50 AM in response to mcadzow

Most iMacs come with video circuits with dedicated memory. However some use a video circuit that uses the iMac RAM for it's memory. For example, the Nvidia 9400M uses a minimum of 256MB of the iMac RAM. I'm not aware of any way to force the video circuit to use more memory for it's needs. This Apple note discusses this, and says you should have matched iMac memory to maximize performance: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3246

How do you increase shared video memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.