Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I access the firewall in Airport Extreme?

Hello, this may be a very stupid question, but how do I access the firewall in my brand new Airport Extreme? According to the Apple specifications, it contains a built-in firewall, yet I cannot find any mention of this when using Airport Utility to set up the Extreme.

I am using the Extreme connected directly to a modem on the UK BT Infinity fibre optic broadband system using PPoE. The modem is not a combined modem/router, it is a modem only, hence using the Extreme to set up my network, which I have to say (apart from this one question) was incredibly easy. The wireless system is protected as WPA2 Personal.

Router mode is "DHCP and NAT" and "Enable NAT port mapping protocol" is ticked as on - is that it? Is that all I have do to have the firewall on? Should I also have "Enable Default Host" ticked as well? Apologies if this is a silly question - I do not understand firewall set-ups.

I am using 10.7.3 Lion on my MacBook Pro and have a Mac Mini on Snow Leopard connected to the Extreme, plus the usual assortment of iPads, iPhones, Apple TV and iPod Touch.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 1:26 AM

6 replies

Jun 28, 2017 10:11 AM in response to Caroline Lawrence

I am wondering if anyone has had issues with internet-linked baby monitors/security cameras and this router. I have both a NestCam and some Vimtag routers on my network and they are constantly freezing. Nestcam has advised me to lower the security setting on my router, but of course I can't do that on my Airport Extreme. Anyone else? Maybe I just need to buy a new router....

Feb 24, 2012 5:31 AM in response to Caroline Lawrence

When DHCP and NAT are enabled, the NAT firewall is "On". If the AirPort Extreme were in Bridge Mode (DHCP and NAT are off), then the firewall would not be enabled.

You can leave the check mark next to "Enable NAT port mapping". No need to enable "Default Host" unless there is a specific reason to do this....which is unlikely.

Apr 22, 2012 4:42 PM in response to Caroline Lawrence

"You can leave the check mark next to "Enable NAT port mapping". No need to enable "Default Host" unless there is a specific reason to do this....which is unlikely."

I am CLUELESS about what I'm doing, but I did get it to work. The only way I could was to check "Enable Default Host" and type the host IP (connected to the Time Capsule via Ethernet) into the field. Is this insecure? What does it even mean, I assumed it just meant 'forward all traffic to this address.'

Apr 22, 2012 6:23 PM in response to Scott Nash

I don't use this setting, so can't offer much assistance, but do know that your computer is exposed to the Internet, so it will receive all inbound traffic.

Normally, a typical use of Default Host would be to setup a game console to allow online gaming when NAT settings otherwise would not allow communications to occur.

You might want to start a new post for your question...but to get informed responses....you will need to state what you are trying to do. what steps you have performed, etc.

How do I access the firewall in Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.