Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have two questions...

I'm hope i'm not out of line asking two questions inside the same post - but here goes...

1. What do you do if you cant remeber your computers password. I think it's the one when you first set up the computer??

2. I'm trying to back up my entire families digital 'stuff' onto one big external drive that is connected to the network (very cool!). We have external drives and memory sticks building up like flies. Gotta get everything in one place!! That's the plan.

The computer (or drive) doesn't seem to want to drop and drag. As a consequence I'm creating an empty folder on the desktop of my laptop (imac white), copying all the files across, then copying them out of the new folder across to the networked drive.

Apart from being a pain in the bum, i've just run into a new hurdle. I'm now told i don't have the disk space on my lap top to hold the info prior to sending the files across to the networked drive.

There must be a way to send the files from a plugged in external drive straight to the networked drive (2TB) without having to go through my lap top.

If I have to do it bit by bit i know i'll confuse myself, and that could be potentialy very costly.

thanks for listening...any answers?

nibbs

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 3:36 AM

2 replies

Feb 24, 2012 5:01 AM in response to nibbs

Apple provides instructions for resetting passwords at the links below. You will not be able to recover a forgotten password, but only change it:

Pre-Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1274

If you're running Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4798

I'm not exactly clear with respect to your network transfer question, but maybe someone else can help you out with that.

Feb 24, 2012 7:08 AM in response to nibbs

I'm trying to back up my entire families digital 'stuff' onto one big external drive that is connected to the network

If that's your goal, you're going about it the wrong way. What you need is to create and maintain (on a daily basis) a bootable backup on an external drive in case the hard drive in your Mac quits (and it will, at the worst possible time). For that, copying files and folders from one Mac to the external drive is not going to work. You need specialized tools for that:

Both Carbon Copy Cloner (donationware) and SuperDuper ($27.95) lets you create and restore from a bootable backup.

I have two questions...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.