Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new iPad but no sound

I just bought a brand new iPad2 today, but there is no sound. I've tried the suggestions I found on this site. eg. adjusting the sound under settings, or changing the sliding button to lock screen, also checking to make sure that no music was paused.

I even reset the iPad but get no sound from the speaker, I do however, get sound when I plug in headphones.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or should I just assume I have a faulty product and take it in to an apple store?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:46 AM

1. Check the Volume buttons

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/Diavonex/00bf6eae.jpg

2. Double-click the Home button; swipe the Task Bar to the right. Check the Mute and Volume settings.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee374/Diavonex/acd1c239.jpg

11 replies

Feb 24, 2012 4:57 AM in response to tesian

To explain in a little more detail what Diavonex has posted above, this might be your issue. If not, take the iPad back and get it replaced.

If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.

This support article from Apple explains how the side switch works.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4085

Mar 18, 2012 9:06 AM in response to tesian

My new iPad (3rd generation) does not have a sound when playing iTunes, Videos, and YouTube. I only hear the sound when I plug in my earphones/headphones. The external speaker only works for SOUND EFFECTS like ringtone, text tone, etc.

I already checked and tested the Settings->Sounds and Settings->Use Side Switch To: Lock Rotation or Mute but it still did not work.

Apple Support suggested to restore the iPad to its original settings. I've already restored it as New iPad instead of copy from back-up and yet, it still did not work. I believe there is a "software bug".

On the phone with Apple Support and they may have to replace my new iPad. I've already spend $50 for screen protector! VERY UNHAPPY right now. This is our 3rd iPad in our househould (2 iPad2's and 1 iPad 3rd gen). 😠

Mar 21, 2012 5:55 PM in response to tesian

tesian wrote:

I just bought a brand new iPad2 today, but there is no sound. I've tried the suggestions I found on this site. eg. adjusting the sound under settings, or changing the sliding button to lock screen, also checking to make sure that no music was paused.

I even reset the iPad but get no sound from the speaker, I do however, get sound when I plug in headphones.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Or should I just assume I have a faulty product and take it in to an apple store?

Found a bug! When you set a passcode to lock your New iPad it automatically mutes the sound in the task bar. If you double click the home button you will see the volume and brightness by moving the slider all the way to the left or right. You will see a Speaker Icon with a line through it. This obviouly indicates it is muted. Tap it to un-mute it. Voila. Clicks and lock sounds are back.

Mar 22, 2012 7:14 AM in response to tesian

Here's something I noticed:

I just got my new iPad yesterday. By default, the switch above the volume rocker is configured as a mute switch.

I changed it to orientation lock.

Throughout the day, I noticed that videos would play with sound, but games had no sound effects. The system sounds worked as well. The volume rocker had no effect on game sounds, even though the volume screen overlay was showing that I was changing the volume.

I finally realized that before I had changed the switch configuration to orientation lock, I had used it to mute the ipad.

I had to go back into the settings and change the swtich back to mute, then unmute the iPad. Everything worked after that.

It's possible that the volume control in the taskbar would also have worked, but I forgot about that.

Oct 15, 2012 3:50 AM in response to tesian

Hi Tesian and everybody,

I made this short video (1m40s) exactly to help fixing the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjBP-Ncj_fE

Most people will, eventually, have sound problems: the cause can be complex as a 'miss-behaved' app that messes the sound engine or as simple as the iPad being on Mute/Volume Down.

Some people have it working just by fixing the 'mute' and putting volume up.... but there are times you really need to close all apps and ever reboot the iPad.

My mom and her friends used to call me to help them... now I send the video so they car whatch over and over and learn how to fix the sound 🙂.

Brand new iPad but no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.