Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need 'Esc' Key

Thinks have advanced at my job that I can start using my iPad 2 for work related stuff. However, it requires I use Telnet (don't laugh!) and the Telnet session heavily relies on the "Esc" key... and the "Esc" key doesn't exist on the virtual keyboard!

So, my questions...

1. Is the "Esc" there somewhere already and I just don't know?

2. If I have to go to a bluetooth keyboard, can anyone tell me if the Belkin Keyboard Folio has an "Esc" key? I can't tell from the screenshots.*

Thanks!

* I tried asking Belkin directly, but you need an account and their server to setup an account doesn't seem to be repsonding.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:44 AM

10 replies

Feb 24, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

I like the Belkin because it folds-up inside the case. I have my eye on other keyboards if someone can confirm the Belkin doesn't have the key, but I'm still hoping someone can confirm the Belkin does have the key.

I must be using a special form of Telnet. ESC is used to back-up through a menu system. I don't need to use it if I select something in the menu, but if I entered the menu by mistake then I use ESC to go to the previous menu.

Thanks for the table. At the risk of sounding dumb... how do I enter the ASCII code in Telnet?

Apr 25, 2012 9:52 AM in response to Greg Robinson1

The Belkin Folio for iPad2 does not have an escape key. The 'Special Keys' pdf on the Belkin site is incorrect; the ESC key is now a Lock function. Other than this missing key, the keyboard is more than acceptable, although a bit heavy. Bluetooth pairing is quick and flawless, nice responsiveness, and the keys are a good size. I'm happy with it but not having an 'ESC' key is inconvient at times.

I use PocketCloud Pro for access to Windows, AIX and terminal servers and it works well. Even the 'ESC' key.

May 1, 2012 8:22 AM in response to Greg Robinson1

I've got a similar issue using the ZaggFolio case and BT keyboard. I use iSSH to access my servers and find that the lack of a dedicated ESC key (for Vi and Emacs) is a hinderence.

Luckily, since I'm a /really/ old guy I remember that CTRL-[ is the chord for ESC. This works on any keyboard that has a CTRL key.

A larger issue with the Zagg keyboard is that some CTRL chords insert extra characters. The behavior seems to be inconsistent and I'm still working out when and why.

Need 'Esc' Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.