Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari saves some passwords but not others!

I have all the boxes ticked in Autofill preferences, ran Keychain First Aid and searched the net for an answer but still my 20" iMac won't store the Yahoo username and password details. It will quite happily store others but not Yahoo. My 24" iMac does it, so does my MacBook Pro and iPhone! Can anyone help?

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:50 AM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2012 1:25 PM in response to Kevin Weatherly

Kevin ...

Quit Safari.

You need to delete the Yahoo keychain. Just running Keychain Repair doesn't always do the job.

Launch Keychain Access

Type yahoo in the search field top right corne of that window.

Now right or control click the yahoo keychian then click Delete.

Relaunch Safari. From the menu bar click Safari > Preferences > Autofill

Click the Edit button next to: User names and password

Delete all Yahoo url's and make sure User names and passwords is selected.

Now go to the Yahoo site. Login with your user name and password. You should be promopted to save that data to a new keychian, click Yes.

Apr 2, 2012 1:29 PM in response to Kevin Weatherly

I have had the same problem. what i did was copy a "web form password" entry that was created for google, and changed it for yahoo.

You have to have two keychains in order to do this. In Keychain Access, you normally just have one login keychain where all entries go. but if you can create a second keychain, you can copy a "web form password" and then paste a copy into the second keychain. you can't create a duplicate in the same keychain for some reason.

anyway, i copied an entry for google from my login keychain into the second keychain.it looks something like:

Name: accounts.google.com (<your username>)

Kind: Web form password

Account: <your username>

Where: https://accounts.google.com

after you create the copy in the second keychain, modify it to look like this:

Name: accounts.yahoo.com (<your username>)

Kind: Web form password

Account: <your username>

Where: https://login.yahoo.com

and then of course, change the password accordingly and save.

Then copy this entry back into your login keychain.

Anyway, this is a total hack, and im not sure if this is the best way to do this, but it's worked for me without any problems.

BTW, this only became a problem for me in the last two months, with the safari 5.1.5 upgrade and the current yahoo page. before, the user/password autofill always just worked, but after 2 weeks of, i did a little a digging. not sure this applies to all people.

Does anyone else know how to create an empty "web form password" ?

Apr 4, 2012 6:25 AM in response to yellowegret

Hi. Thanks for this reply. It has worked for me too but after I had created the second keychain (and made sure it worked!) I copied the new web form password and pasted it into the original keychain where it worked and then deleted the second keychain. This works great for just one Yahoo address but as I have 4 I have yet to try creating the other three, while it works I may just live with autofilling one address for now.

Safari saves some passwords but not others!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.