Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I find setup assistant

When I installed OS X Lion, I cancelled the setup assistant process, intending to complete it when I had the time.

now I can't find it and I think there were things I should have done.

How do I find it now?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:28 AM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2012 8:34 AM in response to Pat Ficaro

Setup Assistant is only available once - at the beginning. If you want to transfer files later, you can use Migration Assistant (Applications > Utilities); however, be aware that since you already created an account, it may or may not result in duplicate accounts, folders, and other little oddities (depending on how you choose your options).

If you want to use Setup Assistant, you can use the recovery process, wipe the drive, and reinstall. That would bring back Setup Assistant.

Feb 24, 2012 8:48 AM in response to Kappy

Let me put it this way. I upgraded from my existing operating system Snow Leopard, to Lion.

When the installation of the new/updated system completed, the computer automatically restarted and showed the usual screen saying things in foreign language. Then it showed the large X and went to the setup assistant.

Then it asked if I would always allow access from various email services. Then it started to go into the setup assistant screen. That's when I clicked out.

The computer seems to be acting the usual way, except that the old PowerPc applications are disabled. No surprises.

So the simple question is where can I find the Setup Assistant? In case I need to setup anything that wasn't in existence in the Snow Leopard operating system, iCloud for example. I know where to setup iCloud, so that isn't what I'm asking.

What I'm asking is: Do I need to continue with Setup Assistant like the OS X Lion install was trying to guide me to do, and if so where can I find it?

Feb 24, 2012 8:49 AM in response to Pat Ficaro

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so. Before proceeding, you must be sure you can restore your system to the state it’s in now, no matter what happens. If you’re not sure, STOP.

This procedure is for advanced users only. If you don't understand it, don't do it.

Launch the Terminal application. Copy or drag – do not type – the line below into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

Reboot. The Setup Assistant will launch.

how do I find setup assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.