Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the "Other" Catagory on the IPAD

I have just noticed that my "Other" catagory on my IPAD2 32GB went from not even being noticable to 12.8 GB overnight. What Types of files are considered "Other" and how to I get rid of them?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 5.0.1, 32GB Capacity

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 8:54 AM

"Other" is basically all non media or app content. It contains, data and documents, Safari bookmarks, notes, calendar entries, Safari bookmarks and history, text messages - that type of stuff. "Other" should be that big. You may have had a corrupt sync.

Restart the iPad and try syncing again and see if it returns to normal. If not, you should restore your iPad - from a backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Ineedpadhelp

"Other" is basically all non media or app content. It contains, data and documents, Safari bookmarks, notes, calendar entries, Safari bookmarks and history, text messages - that type of stuff. "Other" should be that big. You may have had a corrupt sync.

Restart the iPad and try syncing again and see if it returns to normal. If not, you should restore your iPad - from a backup.

Mar 1, 2012 6:05 AM in response to Ineedpadhelp

One thing I have noticed about the "Other" category is it only appears to exist if you do not have "Sync with this iPad over WiFi" checked.

If I have mine off I have 9.5GB of Video and no 'Other'

If I check that box it reduces to 7.7GB of Video and 0.23GB of 'Other' , the Audio, Photos, Apps, Books etc. do not change. The Free amount changes from 15.7GB without it checked down to 14.4GB with it checked.

It seems there is something more than stated above about its contents as if it were as stated it would surely exist all the time and why does it only change the Video content?

Strange...

What is the "Other" Catagory on the IPAD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.