Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Lion

I just had a quick question for you all.

Im currently running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) on an older model (A1226) MBP and was curious if it could handle Lion.

I upgraded the RAM yesterday from the stock 2Gb to 4Gb and today im receiving a 500Gb 7200rpm hard drive to replace the stock 120Gb 5400rpm hard drive.

Does anyone know if Lion will run fine on my system?

Thanks!!

-Sin

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 12:07 PM

7 replies

Feb 24, 2012 12:23 PM in response to FT13

FT13 wrote:

Does anyone know if Lion will run fine on my system?

It will run on your Mid/Late 2007 15", but "fine" is another issue entirely, I ripped it off my older Mac's, it was very PC-like trashy in regards to video etc.

My advice is to Carbon Copy Clone your 10.6.8 to a external drive, this way if Lion doesn't work you can option key boot off the external drive and erase and reverse clone.

Also make sure your 10.6 disks are copied, there are instructions online.

Lion may not run a lot of your presently installed software, introduces some drastic changes (no more Expose, reverse scroling etc) so in case you want to go back to the faster Snow Leopard (Lion is slightly slower) at least you can.

http://roaringapps.com/apps:table

http://www.bombich.com/get_ready_for_lion.html

Also another thing, Mountain Lion is going to be released this summer, so you might just decide to forgo Lion and buy a new machine for 10.8 as it's reportly a graphics hog and you have a older machine.

10.6 offers the wide amount of available software (and hardware drivers) from many sources, MacUpdate etc,

10.7 is partially the way there with a lot of high end programs not quite ready yet (or stable) and 10.8 has none as it was just announced.

Feb 24, 2012 12:35 PM in response to ds store

well i have a 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo...but i was just worried Lion would bog down the system.

what i planned on doing was as soon as the hard drive arrives (which should be within the hour) is to format it (its coming with an enclosure) and then put Snow Leopard on it as a fresh install, then migrate everything over to it.

but i cant seem to find my copy of Snow Leopard, but a friend has Lion, thus me asking if itll run good on my older system.

-Sin

Feb 24, 2012 12:51 PM in response to FT13

FT13 wrote:

well i have a 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo...but i was just worried Lion would bog down the system.

Ditto machine here, Lion runs good on a fresh install or a very pristine 10.6 upgrade, and perhaps they fixed the video issues with the updates but I've been so disqusted how shoddy and depressing gray it is that I just avoided it, my mood has improved quite bit since. 🙂

but i cant seem to find my copy of Snow Leopard, but a friend has Lion, thus me asking if itll run good on my older system.

Call Apple for replacement disks or buy the 10.6.3 disk but it has no free iLife.

Upgrading to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.