7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 7:14 PM by ralphy
ralphy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Appleworks is my lifeline, and still widely used by many people.  I use it for the neat little graphics suite, as well as the wordprocessing. 

Will nobody update this marvelous piece of software (that knocks Pages into a cocked-hat), so that it works on Lion?   Anyone for a collection - I would subscribe $50.

iPad, iOS 4.3.3, This is a professional enquiry.
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (244,725 points)

There will be no upgrades. The copyright belongs to Apple and the software is considered obsolete. It was replaced by iWork.

If you are not happy with iWork then maybe you should look for alternatives such as Office 2011 or Libre Office Suite.

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,220 points)

AppleWorks would have to be reconstructed from scatch and completely re-programmed, so there's no chance of that being undertaken. it hasn't been updated for years and years.

This articles examines some alternatives and may be of interest:

http://rfwilmut.net/aw

• ralphy Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks, Roger

I am not a systems software guy, but all I do know is that many small software packages I use have been updated to run on Lion.  I see Appleworks as being no different, apart from the lack of will by Apple.  

But Apple are wrong on two counts.  Firstly, Appleworks was a great and well loved package.  Secondly, they are leaving many people in the lurch, with files that will not work/format on other packages.  Or me, this involves a few thousand hieroglyphs, each in a separate file.  Will Apple pay for these to be converted to another platform??

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (69,220 points)

ralphy wrote:

Will Apple pay for these to be converted to another platform??

I take it that's a rhetorical question....

>> I take it that is a rhetorical question...

Unfortunately yes, but it would be nice to see companies being responsible for their heritage.

Is this important?  Yes, and Amstrad it a perfect example of what happens if you forget your customers.  Amstrad in the UK beat almost everyone to the usable (as opposed to games) PC market.  It was a great little word processing PC, and Amstrad could have easily overtaken Apple in the market. 

But Amstrad did not give a figg about his customers, and would jump from product to product.  Result?  Amstrad went bust, while Apple became the biggest company in the world.

• a brody Level 9 Level 9 (64,125 points)

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at it all....