Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reinstall Mac apps from external hard drive onto Macbook

Last week I spilt wine on my 2009 Macbook6.1 and couldn't revive it so I brought it into the Mac Dealer in town and had it fixed. Gee! I just upgraded the external 250gb hard drive with a Hot Seagate Momentus 500gb hybrid SSD. well it wasn't too bad. Replaced some plate(forgive my lack off computer knowledge) of a sort and wiped everything down with alcohol including the new HD and all was good. Then the techy moved all of my personal stuff over to my LaCie external HD, wiped my internal HD clean and reinstalled Snow Leopard OS X. All done. When I got home with it and started it up I couldn't find the iLife app that it came with when bought new at Apple Store or iWork which I bought later at Apple Store and installed myself. I just bought and installed Lion OS X too. Right here and now I have my LaCie external connected to it and have no clue how/what to do to get iLife apps and iWork and other stuff back into Macbook. I need help. PS: how to check volume in Seagate hard drive?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 4:54 PM

6 replies

Feb 24, 2012 6:13 PM in response to davesnewlion

Ilife and Iworks should be installed using the dvd for both. If you installed Iworks, you should have that dvd. I would ask the people at the apple store to install Ilife for you as it was on the Macbook when you bought it. As far as other personal stuff like your Itunes or Iphoto library you can use the import function. And import it from your external drive. In your utilities folder is an app called migration assistant tha you can use to import files an such from the external drive to your Macbook.

Feb 24, 2012 10:37 PM in response to davesnewlion

There are basically two types of apps:

- one category requires to run an installer, e.g. iLife or iWork, they cannot be moved from one place to another; there are apps which, even having an installer, they practically may be moved from one place to another without any problem;

- apps which may be stored as such and moved to and external drive and back, and even may run from anywhere; most of Mac OS apps are like this.

If you want to backup your apps once purchased on CDs or DVDs, you may simply create images of them (dmg), and install them as if you had the CD or DVD. To have a backup of your apps is OK, and even recommended. This is how I store all my apps now, practically the optical drive is something I use extremely rarely.

If you purchased iWork via App Store, you may simpluy re-download them any time, by selecting apps and pressing Option / Alt key when selecting them, this will force a new download.

Feb 26, 2012 7:26 PM in response to davesnewlion

when I had it fixt, cleaned, the OS reloaded and returned the password was left blank by the techy. I found my iLife somewhere and I reloaded iWork from the disc by ignoring the password stuff and pressing the 'install" button. Thanks all. I do still have unresolved problems though. My music, iPhoto pictures, documents, bookmarks and favorites are not in my external hard drive where they were supposed to be put proir to wiping my internal hard drive and reinstalling the hard drive. I do still have most of my music on my iPhone 4s and I belive all of it is on my iPod Clasic. So now I have to learn how to transfer all of the music from the Classic to my Macbook, And one little thing: there are no instructions, tutorials or manuals for Migration Assistant. I will ask Support about those things though. Thanks all once again. (yes I am a newbie of a sort)

how to reinstall Mac apps from external hard drive onto Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.