Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After installing OSX 10.6 my mail application is extremely slow at sending email. How can I speed it up to speed of OSX 10.4?

After installing OSX 10.6.8 my mail application is extremely slow in uploading content to addressees. How can I speed up the send function to levels that prevailed in OSX 10.4?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 7:46 PM

14 replies

Feb 25, 2012 4:19 AM in response to Adam5x

Have you brought over data from an older Mac using the Migration Assistant? Are you sure all your drivers are up to date for Snow Leopard? How big is your hard drive and how full is it? Are you using an Apple Airport Base station, or some third party router, or just a modem, and if a modem, what kind of modem?

Feb 26, 2012 6:44 PM in response to a brody

All of my updates and drivers for Snow Leopard are up to date.

My hard drive is 250 GB with 204GB free. I have 3 GB of memory.

I'm using Airport to connect to a Brother MFC printer/fax (its also very very slow since installing SnowLeopard. I'm using the same DSL modem that was running at lightning speed under Mac OSX 10.4.11. Before install Snow Leopard I check and cleaned up my hard drive with disk utility to ensure there were no bits or bytes that were disconnected. It checked out fine. The Mail application downloads emails from the server at the same speed as before. However, in sending email, the smallest files take a minute and a half, instead of 5 to 10 seconds as before. Somethings wrong.

Adam5x

Feb 29, 2012 12:28 PM in response to boink boink

I don't have a speed meter to determine the speed of my internet connection. I know that my downloads have not changed, irrespective of the application, ie., mail, software updates, downloading new applications. The upload speed of my email is the only application where I've experienced significant degradation. The email eventually goes through--it just takes for ever. I noticed this immediately after installing 10.6.8.

I'm thinking that if I re-install the Mail application that it might solve my problem. However, I don't know how to uninstall the original--with all of the bits and pieces that it has in the library, preferences and godonlyknows where else. Then I'm not sure where to find the current Mail application.

Feb 29, 2012 4:43 PM in response to Adam5x

hello Adam5x,

you can do a speedtest by going to speedtest.net

the reason for that is, there is a possibility that your internet connection mught be throttled after downloading tons of updates after upgrading. but it's only a possibility.

if i'm in your situation, i might do this.

• Boot to safe boot, shut down then hold the option key
  • login to your account
  • move /Home/Library/Mail folder to a different location
  • restart the computer
  • launch mail, what's expected to happen here is the account config should still be here but mail should start downloading emails(i hope you're on imap). the configuration of mail is saved in com.apple.mail.plist.

if the issue persist, creating a new user account and testing it might also help us isolate the issue. i hope these steps will elad us somewhere.

Mar 1, 2012 7:19 PM in response to boink boink

Thanks for the help, Boinker

My speed test shows download speed of 5.98 MBps and the upload at 0.67 Mbps.

In your directions to move /Home/Library/Mail to a different location, would draging Mail from the Library to the Desktop do the trick, or do I need to move it elsewhere, say to a flash drive? My Mail folder is 22.8 MB in size.

I've tried sending email from another email account on this iMac and there is no improvement in speed of transmission.

Do you think that a tuneup by MacKeeper (as advertised in speedtest) would solve my vexation with email uploads?

Adam

Mar 1, 2012 7:31 PM in response to Adam5x

22.8MB, seems that you have not downloaded many email yet. is this a new email account?

putting the mail on the desktop is okay., i should have indicated that on the last post, my bad.

your upload speed is not that quick, sending email would definitely take time. can you restart your modem/router. also, if possible, check with your ISP what's the expected upload/download speed for your connection.

mackeeper, i have not tried it but most of the things i read about were negative reviews.

Mar 2, 2012 8:18 AM in response to a brody

brody,

The Brother printer MFC 7840W is connected via Airport. It also takes forever to initiate a print request, in fact on the initial print command the request "times out" and the printer resets for 30 seconds, and then it finally prints. On subsequent print requests there is no "time out" but immediately commences printing.

Adam

Mar 5, 2012 1:24 PM in response to boink boink

The Airport function is built in to my iMac, as it is in the Brother printer. From the Network preferences panel it shows that "AirPort has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.205.150". (and goes on to say that it will not connect to the Internet).

The printer is approximately 15 feet away from the iMac, pretty much in the line of sight. (Occasionally, my head might get in the way -- perhaps that's the problem with my airport connection).

The firmware is shown as " AirPort Utility: 5.5.3 (553.20) "

Infact all of my Software Versions are:

Software Versions:

Menu Extra: 6.2.2 (622.2)

configd plug-in: 6.2.5 (625.6)

System Profiler: 6.0.1 (601.1)

Network Preference: 6.2.2 (622.2)

AirPort Utility: 5.5.3 (553.20)

IO80211 Family: 3.2 (320.1)

Regarding manual settings and playing with channels, I'm somewhat at a loss at where to find them.

In Network preferences for Airport it has Airport ID as 00:17:f2:54:81:b2.

Adam/

After installing OSX 10.6 my mail application is extremely slow at sending email. How can I speed it up to speed of OSX 10.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.