Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What model of Fibre Channel card the Xserve late 2006 comes with ?

Couldn't find the answer to this question even on www.everymac.com :

What model of Fiber Channel card the Xserve late 2006 comes with ?

I have a few Xserve late 2006 models with the OEM configs ( only I maxed them with RAM and packed with 750GB drives ). I like to take out one of the Fibre Channel cards from these Xserves and place it in a MacPro 1,1. The idea is connecting an XRaid ( loaded with 14 x 750GB drives ) to that MacPro through Fibre with maximum speed possible. I have seen some PCI-e fibre cards on eBay for $30. @ ( 2Gb/s) and some for $400. @ ( 4Gb/s ). If what I will pull out of my old Xserve is only worth $30. , i would prefer to buy it.

Mac Pro Quad 2.6, Mac OS X (10.6.5), Mac Classic II , PB 180C , ..., iMac G5

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 10:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 9:02 PM

The short answer is that the fiber channel card is PCIe-based, so it will work in your MacPro.

If you're connecting to an XServe RAID, though, then you should be aware that the XServe RAID only supports 2Gb/s fiber channel, so installing a faster card (e.g. a 4Gb/s card) isn't going to offer any speed advantage.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2012 9:02 PM in response to Ai-Max

The short answer is that the fiber channel card is PCIe-based, so it will work in your MacPro.

If you're connecting to an XServe RAID, though, then you should be aware that the XServe RAID only supports 2Gb/s fiber channel, so installing a faster card (e.g. a 4Gb/s card) isn't going to offer any speed advantage.

What model of Fibre Channel card the Xserve late 2006 comes with ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.