Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New to mac. want to restore system but can't transfer files/movies/ect to external drive. Able to access the drive and files (windows) but cannot add mac files to it. HELP?!?

I'm new to Mac and can't say that I like it very much so far. I've been having a really hard time doing the most basic of things like play a dvd that doesn't start on autoplay. So I'm looking to restore it to the factory settings and try again. I'm using an external hard drive to save my files, movies, itunes, ect. I can see the drive and access the files already on it from my Window's PC but I'm unable to copy, save, or drag and drop files from the mac to the external. This is not a drive I can patition at this time and I need the files I'm transfering accessable on my Windows PC. I've never had a problem transfering docs and video from the school's macs to pc before so I don't understand why I'm unable to do so now at home. I have microsoft Word programs on both computers and files are saved as HTML or RTF mostly. Any sugestions would be helpful.

Thanks for reading and assisting with this artical.

-Zorra Reed

ps. I'm using snow lepard 10 something if it matters.

iMac

Posted on Feb 24, 2012 11:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 6:16 AM

Your Windows external drive is formated as NTFS which the Mac can read but not write to. That's why copying them isn't going to work. Since partitioning isn't possible your options are (1) buy another hard drive and format it for Mac use - which is a good idea anyway since no computer should be without a backup drive, (2) install a program on the Mac that will let it write to NTFS drives.

To become more comfortable using your new Mac (and it does take some time for experienced Windows users to adapt) look here.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2012 6:16 AM in response to Community User

Your Windows external drive is formated as NTFS which the Mac can read but not write to. That's why copying them isn't going to work. Since partitioning isn't possible your options are (1) buy another hard drive and format it for Mac use - which is a good idea anyway since no computer should be without a backup drive, (2) install a program on the Mac that will let it write to NTFS drives.

To become more comfortable using your new Mac (and it does take some time for experienced Windows users to adapt) look here.

New to mac. want to restore system but can't transfer files/movies/ect to external drive. Able to access the drive and files (windows) but cannot add mac files to it. HELP?!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.